Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scarlet, how did the Autumn King do? I grew them in 2009/2010, and they had very little frost damage. This winter was a bit colder, and I found that Lisse de Meaux had more frozen and then rotten tops, so I was wondering whether it was the variety or the winter. Of course, you live further West, so you might have had a milder winter.

Comment

Thanks Plantologist!
      We probably do have milder winters here although we did have several weeks of snow and frozen ground. I think Autumn King is a good variety, they have suffered very little frost damage and I haven't had any rotten tops.

Comment

Harvested my sorrel seeds this week.
        The salad burnet is looking good too.
        Since Scarlet is saving carrots that I thought were better than mine, I'll contribute something else.

Comment

My celeriac is flowering so hopefully the will be seeds to collect in month or so. The Popcorn is, um, well it's growing! Slowly!

Comment

Carrots and parsnips are both in flower, the parsley doesn't look like it's up to much but I'm an optimist!

Comment

Instead of carrots, which Scarlet is already contributing, I'll contribute another root: scorzonera. My seeds are all ready. Please let us know if you're ready as well, then we can proceed with the swap.

Comment

scorzonera - have you tasted it? I tried salsify which (fortunately) was nothing like oysters, pretty plants too.
                The celeriac is ready and bagged! And the popcorn still on the plants (looks pretty good!) but due to be picked shortly, then dried so I'm needing possibly another 2 weeks? Can you pm me your address so I'm ready to go when it is dry? Thanks

Comment

i,v got the leek seeds and some red pear toms which will be ready in a few weeks just drying them out now pm your address and howmany packets of eachneeded

Comment

Originally posted by vicky View Post
                    scorzonera - have you tasted it?
                    I've grown them before, and the taste is a cross between a carrot, a jerusalem artichoke and an asparagus, if you can imagine that. Haven't eaten this variety yet, I sowed them amongst the sorrel last year, and at first I thought this was rather stupid, to sow a root vegetable amongst a perennial, but then I read that it's also a perennial, so then I concluded it was a cunning plan after all, and have now promoted them to seed producing plants. It did mean I didn't get to eat them last year, and only sowed this year's after I got new seed, in July if I remember correctly, so they're still growing.

Originally posted by vicky View Post
                    Can you pm me your address so I'm ready to go when it is dry?
                    Just did that.

Comment

Hi all

Do we want to combine this with Circle No 3? Or has everyone packed their seeds up now? Or do you want to stay separate?

Comment

Hi zazen999,

Well, I have already sent the others my address, so we would need everybody to agree, but I'm happy to combine the circles if the others would prefer that.

Comment

I would love too, I have plenty of parsnip and carrot seed!

Comment

Hopefully the others will see this and let us know....

Comment

Fine by me!

Comment

I've PM-ed WW - to see if they are amenable to this....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X