Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've numerous squash that I'm planning on doing (going to ask my wife to make me some sacks up!).. and I've a row of parnsips that have flowered, and the seeds are forming - fattening up as we speak!

Comment

I've got Lau's Lettuce as well this year; am leaving 3 to go to seed as they really are a lovely lettuce and they deserve to be shared.

I have a list written next to my desk what I'm saving for which group but I think I need to get one at home as I think I'm going to forget what I'm doing where....

Comment

Originally posted by FROSTYFRECKLE View Post
        I've just had to Google and wow. Tendrils you cook like brocolli how cool is that? and you get peas! Still trying to make a final decision
        Yup, I've got lots of parsley peas on the go and I think they would be a great contender for growing just for the tendrils....so I'll probably save them for the pea/bean group.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
          Yup, I've got lots of parsley peas on the go and I think they would be a great contender for growing just for the tendrils....so I'll probably save them for the pea/bean group.
          It took me ages to find the seeds, and as luck would have it, our local seed swap had some. Mega bonus!Only problem is not many plants, (only 8 peas in the packet) so I hope they are prolific!!

Comment

Well, I got a huge bag from HSL when they were throwing a load of stuff out and the germination has been fab so I should have lots to share out later on this year. Will be doing another sowing at the weekend....

Comment

I am happy to have you save the parsley peas then Zaz, as I would (provided I get some pods) only be able to offer a few peas per person.

Comment

I just tasted the first one today - nice and sweet.

i have a fair few batches sown so will save from each over the season to share them out - I'm guessing that quite a few people will want some.

Comment

I really should think before I do things. I've planted the bed where I've left these parsnips that have flowered all up with pumpkins. I didn't think about getting in the bed to harvest the seeds. d'oh... let alone pulling the parsnips up.

Think I may need one of those litter picking thingies, and then an extendable pair of seccys to reach in pull the stalks to me, and snip the flower heads off!

Comment

I've been thinking about saving pepino melon seeds but will make a final decision when I taste one (and when I find out how to seed save from them - I'm guessing along the lines of tomato seed saving).

Comment

Garden Organic resources for schools Seed saving guide here - but you just hand pollinate them and dig them out once the fruit is well ripe.

GO says:

Melon and Cucumber

These have small flowers that are trickier to pollinate. Melons are likely to reject about 70% of hand pollinations. You may have to be persistent.

If pollination has been successful, the fruit will start to swell within a couple of days and develop as normal, otherwise it will go yellow and drop off. You can ensure as early a fruit set as possible by starting the plants off indoors and pollinating the first females to develop.

Comment

Well I may need a rethink. I thought as pepino melons are from the same family as tomatoes they will be self pollinating. Mmmh, I know what I'm doing for the other seed saving circles, may be peas or tomato seeds for this circle. Decisions, decisions.

Will not be doing pepino melons (on a previous thread it seems they may be more trouble than they are worth but I'll keep on giving it a bash). So for those of you who have the parsley pea, do you know if the tendrils off any pea are edible? I'm growing Manitoba peas which are hyper-tendriled like the parsley pea (but only grows up to 3 feet) and I'm now thinking perhaps saving the Manitoba pea.
                        Last edited by FROSTYFRECKLE; 18-06-2011, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Cut most of the parsnip flower heads off- majority are almost dry, so thought whilst I can still step over the squash I'll cut them. Will dry them out a bit more, then give you a poke about sending them over to you zaz!

Comment

I'll give a shout out closer to Autumn.....with destructions....

Comment

I have allowed some of my lettuces to go to seed, (or it was a happy accident, as they bolted before I ate them ) So will probably save them. As an experiement I saved a celeriac from last year which has flowered etc, so am hoping for seed from that, although I dont know how many it produces.

Comment

Bit of a shock in the morning, the trug I had the flowerheads in, in the kitchen were covered in thrips, greenfly and ladybug larvae! Came down in the morning to find then crawling everywhere. Needless to say my wide wasn't best pleased.

Didn't think of that when I left then there- I'll know for the future now mind

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X