Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mine arrived today - thank you very much!! Cant wait to try everything!!

NB kernowyon, is this the yellow cayenne?
    Last edited by northepaul; 10-01-2011, 02:26 PM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

• Hi, received mine today too. Brilliant !

many thanks to everyone, and to yourself for doing the leg-work.

best regards

Burnzie

Comment

• Received mine yesterday, thanks to all who took part

Comment

• recieved mine thanks alot to everyone cant wait for spring so i can get sowing will be real interesting watching everything grow

Comment

• Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
            Right - the 2 documents are:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CL_NmdYO

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...thkey=CJuj0YME

You put the data in the spreadsheet one, and I'll give details on how to get to the booklet stage
            Many thanks Zazen999. Dane End Dolly, are you willing to give that a go, or would you like me to?

Comment

• Originally posted by planetologist View Post
              Many thanks Zazen999. Dane End Dolly, are you willing to give that a go, or would you like me to?
              Ooh, can i say you as i truly am a bit of a technophobe and as stated previously, my limits are cut and paste. I hope that is ok with you

K
              Last edited by Dane End Dolly; 14-01-2011, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• OK. Can you all please post descriptions, instructions and preferably pictures for your seeds/plants here or by PM, or PM me your google account email address so that I can give you write permission for the spreadsheet?

Comment

• I'll put mine here so anyone can have a look!

Carruther's Purple Podded Pea (Arrived here as a Serect Santa pressie - so from the Vine)
                  Sown 27th April 2010, 12 sown into pots in unheated greenhouse (regular small pots)
                  Carruther's planted into the veggie garden 17.5.10
                  Canes 6ft tall needed as a vigourous climber, very decorative
                  Best eaten as a mange tout as the peas are not sweet and rather starchy when mature
                  Left to dry on plant. Seem prone to damage by pea moth (holes in peas) but not to pea/bean weevil (chewed 'notches' around outside of leaves).
                  Haven't eaten yet as a dried pea

Wladek Tomato (from HSL)
                  Inderterminate beef
                  Sown March 3/3/10, started indoors in a warm room
                  Potted on 28/4/10 (now in unheated greenhouse, covered in fleece on frosty nights)
                  Planted outside 19/5/10
                  Plants need staking as they have very heavy fruit, mulched in between plants with compost, grass clippings and newspaper to conserve moisture.
                  Fruits appearing begining of july
                  Blight started showing on tomatoes plants 26/8/10, Wladek's do not get blight at first - some resistance (photo shows after blight struck and the leaves were removed)
                  Large crop of fruit even with blight
                  To save the seeds I scooped them out of ripe tomatoes and dried them on kitchen paper

Climbing French Bean - no photos (I gave out a mix of...)
                  Lazy Housewife (from King Carrot on the vine)
                  Extra Hatif de Julliet (HSL)
                  For both
                  Sown 6/5/10 several beans into a single large pot, unheated greenhouse
                  Planted out 27/5/10, Extra climb to about 5ft, LH are taller so 6ft canes for both
                  LH cropping 26/7/10 - the earliest of all my french beans even thought they were not the first to be planted

LH sweet, tender pods when young becoming tougher, if you miss picking for a few days you lose all future pickings as none will then be suitable to eat. Very heavy crop of dried beans - heaviest crop of all my french beans plus the seeds are fairly big and swell even more on cooking. The dried beans have an excellent taste and thin skins making them my no.1 dried beans. Also very pretty in a jar as they are pure white.

Extra are not great eaten fresh, stringy even when very tiny. Sparse crop of small pods and small white beans. When cooked the dried beans were really tasty and looked almost exatcly like a baked bean shape and size (making them more appealing to children!). Very pretty in the jar too.

Erik - Please edit as neccesary!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by vicky; 14-01-2011, 12:44 PM.

Comment

• Hi Planetologist, I had posted my descriptions previously on this thread, but i will resend them if you need them again

regards

Kx

Comment

• Originally posted by Dane End Dolly View Post
                      Hi Planetologist, I had posted my descriptions previously on this thread, but i will resend them if you need them again

regards

Kx
                      Did you? I can't find it. I have the paper copy you sent, but an electronic copy here would be useful.

Comment

• Ruth Bible Beans

Ruth Bible Pole Bean

75 days. Drought-resistant cornfield bean. [Introduced in 1984 by SESE.] Family heirloom from the Buoys family in Kentucky since 1832.] Vines are long and bear heavily. Pods are about 3-1/2" long and contain brownish-tan seeds. Large pods may have slight strings. Best picked when tender and small.

Earthy brown seeds for drying for winter survival (in casseroles, soup, etc.). Quite small but loads of them. Medium to vigorous growth.

I personally grew them up my sweetcorn for a three sisters bed and that worked very well and was a space saving measure, I let the beans dry on the corn.

Comment

• Tigers Eye Bean

Tigers Eye Bean

Tiger's Eye Beans are exceptionally pretty: long, slightly flattened, tan beans are each adorned with several maroon streaks. The skins are extremely thin; when cooked they dissolve, and the beans melt slightly. They are best treated as pintos.

Most Tigers Eye beans on the web state they are a bush. This is a climbing bean and should be grown up poles as mine grew over 6’ tall. It was a very good cropping bean

Comment

• Red Orach

Red Orach

Red orach is a beautiful plant, as well, with foliage colours ranging from
                            pinkish-red through brilliant ruby to a moderately deep purple. Young leaves
                            add greatly to colour interest in salads, and its taste is fresh and mild if
                            picked young. Its blooms are not what one would call showy, but rather are
                            interesting. The individual plants can get quite large as well, up to about
                            three or four feet tall and wide, but they vary greatly in habit with some
                            being much more spindly and some being squat and bushy.

Red Orach is a very attractive red leafy vegetable, easier to grow than spinach, and more tolerant of heat, cold and drought. It is great for use in salads, or as a colourful alternative to spinach. Also lovely in the border, can grow up to 4ft.
                            Red Orach is a hardy, annual vegetable suitable for full sun. It grows from three to five feet and is most ornamental in the kitchen garden.
                            Sow the seed early in the spring, as early as the soil can be worked and harvest the young leaves like spinach. It takes about 40 days from sowing to harvest under ideal growing conditions.

Sorry Planetologist, i thought i had already posted these, but i remember now, i sent details in with my seeds.

Comment

• Cherokee Trail of Tears:
                              Carried by the Cherokee on their forced march to the West. Slender purple pods produce small, shiny black beans. Very delicate flavour, long producing. Heirloom dating to the 1800's and before.
                              Lavender flowers. This group of beans is a favorite for the home garden and can be grown just about anywhere because they have a relatively short growing season. They can be planted from seed as soon as the soil is warm (day temperatures are around 60 degrees Farenheit), in full sun and loose, well drained soil. Bush type beans are very easy to grow and manage, reaching a height of only 2 feet tall. To control harvest, bush beans can be planted every two weeks. To decide how many crops you can plant, divide your growing season by the maturation period of the variety you are planting. When preparing soil, be sure not to mix in too much nitrogen (5-10-10 is best) or you will get all plant and no beans. . There is no need to soak beans prior to planting and no need to heavily water right after planting. If coat is cracked too early, germination may be poor. Beans should be planted about 1 inch deep and two inches apart, with rows at least 2 feet apart. Pole type beans should be planted at least 4 inches apart, have rows 3 feet apart. Pole beans will require some type of trellising system, with the tee pee system working quite well. It is alright if beans are a little crowded, as they lend each other support.

Comment

• Bolivian Rainbow Chilli Tender Annual

Grown for centuries in Bolivia, this searingly hot pepper turns from brilliant purple to yellow to red when ripe. Everbearing plants have purple foliage and flowers yielding tiny, pointed fruits. Unique, bright landscape plant bears early and throughout the season. Sow seeds indoors 6-8 weeks before the last spring frost. Transplant when soils are warm, spacing seedlings 12-18 inches apart. Enrich soil with mature compost. Needs warm conditions day and night to germinate and fruit well. Harvesting tips. Chile is ripe when it becomes red.

Show this item to others!
                                Planting Depth: 1/4"
                                Soil Temp. for Germ.: 70-90°F
                                Days to Germ.: 10-14
                                Plant Spacing: 15-18"
                                Days to Maturity: 75
                                Full Sun
                                Moderate Water

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts