This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FROSTYFRECKLE View Post
    How about a couple of choices for the tomatoes - I'll try saving Reisetomate primarily but as a fail save I'll also try Black Sea Man tomato (Reisetomate might not like sunny, warm Fort William!)
    Both good choices

I need to decide which I will be saving for the group

But pretty sure my choices will include a couple of tomato varieties, I am thinking Pineapple and another as yet undecided

Can anyone tell me how easy it is to save seed from Beetroot? As I have White Beetroot from the Real Seed Company and think this might be a good one to try from the circle

Comment

• Why thank you Jilly

I've got Sanguina Beetroot from Real Seeds but can't find the seed saving pamphlet, so I'm of as much use as a chocolate teapot White Beetroot sounds good!

Comment

• Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Chocolate :-)

Comment

• OK I decided I will seed save for the group the following :-)

White Beetroot, think I will need a bit of advice with this one as never seed saved beetroot before.

Beans - Kingston Gold, not grow them before and they are not on anyone else's list, only got 6 seeds so will grow them all for seed saving not eating (obviously will try a couple of pods just to make sure they are tasty)

Tomato - Pineapple

Tomato - Snow White Cherry

Will also be seed saving from my other crops if all goes to plan, so if any other members of the circle see anything on my list that I am not specifically saving for the circle PM me at the end of the year and I should be able to help you out :-)

Comment

• *cracks knuckles

Beetroot is EASY!!! If a little tiresome when it has been harvested.

Have you got any of the white beets from last year still knocking around? If not - you'll have to leave 3 in the ground over next winter and they will grow flower stalks next spring and be ready around next autumn. It's best to dig up 2 and move next to the third; so that you can tie them all up together and the pollen is shared between all 3.

You'll get a shoebox full [ish] with just 3 beets; but you need 3 to keep the variety good. The flower stalks grow to about 4 ft and then bend over, so they need quite sturdy staking.
            Last edited by zazen999; 04-02-2010, 10:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by zazen999 View Post

Beetroot is EASY!!! If a little tiresome when it has been harvested.
              Good - if they are EASY they sound perfect

No non left in the ground as never grown them before, 2010 will be first year of sowing, so will have seed available to share Autumn 2011.

Comment

• HOw many plants do you recommend for seed saving for french beans, climbing and dwarf. Was going to save the ones that Hazel sent me so just want to make sure there are enough to do this! Need to check in the packets as not sure how many seeds in each one.
                http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

• Originally posted by jackyspratty View Post
                  HOw many plants do you recommend for seed saving for french beans, climbing and dwarf. Was going to save the ones that Hazel sent me so just want to make sure there are enough to do this! Need to check in the packets as not sure how many seeds in each one.
                  Well, I'd expect no more than 10 beans in each bag if you are sharing between 16 of us; so for 160 beans you are going to need a few plants [depending on the type]...but if you only have a few then I'm sure people would rather 3-4 seeds than none at all. I think you could scrape by with 3-4 dwarfs and 1-2 climbers....purely for sharing.

Comment

• Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                    Well, I'd expect no more than 10 beans in each bag if you are sharing between 16 of us; so for 160 beans you are going to need a few plants [depending on the type]...but if you only have a few then I'm sure people would rather 3-4 seeds than none at all. I think you could scrape by with 3-4 dwarfs and 1-2 climbers....purely for sharing.
                    Thanks andrea. Have just checked 2 packs,and Hazel has put about 20 seeds in each! How generous she is. So hopefully we will be alright in terms of plant numbers! Just need to see if I can find room for them all
                    http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

• Quick questions.
                      are American heirloom varieties the same as English heritage varieties (seen some yellow climbing beans in Wilcos)

and if it doesnt say F1 on the packet, but just a name eg Cucumber 'Fred Bloggs' does that mean its a pure bred? and therefore worth saving, or is it literally just the ones that say 'heritage variety' on the packet?

and comment Zazen, I've never manaaged to do any good with Toms up till now, so if anyone else wants to save seed from the same varieties as me, please do
                      Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

• Yes, Heirloom is just another word for heritage......different types possibly but the same idea. Usually F1s should say F1s; but if you grow it and taste the first one and think 'bleugh', then I'd probably 'abort mission'. As you get more into it, you will work out what you want to save and it becomes part of your own cycle of growing.

Comment

• God, sorry, I haven't been about for ages. What have I missed? I've got no seeds to share this season but I am going to be growing quite a few things so will have plenty to share at the end of season (hopefully). I got my seeds from the HSL so these will be going in purely to share with you lovely lot. I've got from memory, Hannibal Leeks, Greek Squash, Idelight Beans, Asparagus Kale (lucky dip), a lettuce can't remember which one, Jersey sunrise tomato and a mini orange tomato, Shchavel Sorrel (i love sorrel).

Anyway, just wanted you all to know that I hadn't forgotten and I will try and be around more but life seems to be getting in the way at the moment.
                          Bex

Comment

• Don't worry Bex; and you only have to save 1 type; so just save one later in the season and we can all swap then.

Comment

• Ok

First seed to be offered on the Circle is
                              Bleu De Solaise Leek.

Sown 2008, saved 2009. Not clean, but I can bag some up each and send it on - just crumble each seed head straight into whatever you are sowing into.

Circle members that want to try some for this year, PM me and I'll send my address; send me an SAE and I'll pop a bag to you.

Otherwise, it will be bagged up for sending to Circle members later in the year. There will be a bag for everyone; so feel free to wait if you want.

p.s....this is for Seed Circle members only; there will be none left over as I will divide the lot by 16 and weight it out....
                              Last edited by zazen999; 28-02-2010, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• Ok again.

Leeks all bagged up all with your names on them

Second Seed on offer

Beetroot: Sanguina.

Same applies; if you want yours now, PM me and send me a SAE. Large letter stamp. I will bag these up and keep hold of them until later in the year if you don't want them now.
                                Last edited by zazen999; 09-03-2010, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X