"Curry leaves" can we grow them?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alice View Post
    The smell Delnel. They're strongly curry scented - and as I said it's great when you're cooking but I didn't like the smell in the garden.
    Sorry missed that the first time! Slow mind and all that...Quite liked the scent myself. I was brought up on it though, so that's probably why. I understand that it's not everyones cup of tea.

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
      Does anyone know its Latin name? I've smelled 'curry plants' at the garden centre, I'm not 100% sure they're the same ones. Any asian cooking fans/fiends onboard know?
      I believe The Latin name is Murraya Koenigii
      good Diggin, Chuffa.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

http://chuffa.wordpress.com/

Comment

The curry tree is a tropical sub topical tree that can grow up to 6 meteres tall. The black berries it produces are edible but the seeds are poisonous. I believe the latin name is Murraya Koenigii. In my Mothers homeland of Sri Lanka it is called currapincha. You would probably need a very warm hothouse to grow them succesfully for lots of leaves.
        good Diggin, Chuffa.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

http://chuffa.wordpress.com/

Comment

I've been looking for a curry plant for ages - does anybody know if any of the major shops do them?

Comment

A house two doors up used to be rented out to students from seal hayne college and every day we used to think typical students have had curry again. ages after they had moved out realised it was a curry plant in the front garden
            Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
            and ends with backache

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
              OH is just cooking a very nice "Hearty Blue Mountain Cabbage & Tomato Stew" aka 'Muttakos Sambaar', which has 'curry leaves' as an ingredient.

Does any one know can they be grown in this country, and what are they plant-wise?

The 'stew' smells pretty pungent without them but ....

doh this should have been in the 'herbs' section.
              I too would like to have a curry tree but the leaves keep their flavour so well when I freeze them that I have turned my ambition elsewhere.

Comment

Hi everyone. This is my very first post on these forums.
                I have 2 very sturdy Curry Tree plants, Murraya Koengigii, which I got on E-Bay.
                They need to be kept frost-free.
                You can also get them from Plants for Presents, who have a 'Grow your own Curry' range. I borught a Black Cardamon plant from them at Hampton Court. Hopefully a link here:
                Choose from our GYO selection and buy plants online for UK Delivery - Plants make Great Presents

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X