"Curry leaves" can we grow them?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Curry leaves" can we grow them?

OH is just cooking a very nice "Hearty Blue Mountain Cabbage & Tomato Stew" aka 'Muttakos Sambaar', which has 'curry leaves' as an ingredient.

Does any one know can they be grown in this country, and what are they plant-wise?

The 'stew' smells pretty pungent without them but ....

doh this should have been in the 'herbs' section.
    Last edited by smallblueplanet; 21-01-2008, 07:46 PM.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

I have seen a curry plant in the herb section at the garden centre, it had very small leaves if I remember correctly. Smell was delish!
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

You can buy it in the USA - from Amazon.co. It seems to like high winter temps - not below 65C. I couldn't give it those temps unless it lived indoors with me. You apparently propagate from offsets. (Nearly said offcuts - the quilter in me coming out again!)
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi Manda,

I grow curry leaves ( they are small tree) mine only 20 cm high (at their 2.5 year now and currently over wintering in door). I am not in UK but my climate will be similar to london. I presume you can grow them in your area too but indoor during winter and autumn.

Momol
        Last edited by momol; 21-01-2008, 07:55 PM.
        I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

You can grow them from it's berry or cutting. Mine produce some flowers last year but they drop due to too cold,she was grown from curry leaves's berry. Hopefully this year and if they do produce berries, you may have some....

Momol

Comment

Might have known you'd know momol!

Got any other info? Did you start it from seed, where did you get it from, are you keeping it in a pot?

Do you cook curry's then?

Comment

Does anyone know its Latin name? I've smelled 'curry plants' at the garden centre, I'm not 100% sure they're the same ones. Any asian cooking fans/fiends onboard know?
              Last edited by smallblueplanet; 21-01-2008, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Mine were brought over from Singapore ( when we move back) at that time she was only 8 cm or so...here she grow very slow and compact in her small pot ( 2 litres). In tropic she will be growing very fast and tall ( reaching 2m).

Momol

Comment

I only cook curry with it twice as I daren't pick too much... besides I am more cooking malay style curry ( without curry leaves) but they do give nice smell in pickles...

Momol

Comment

Make sure you are talking about the same thing. Curry leaves are Murraya koneigii, Curry plant is Helichrysum italicum. The latter has a sort of cumin type smell. I'm not sure you could cook with it. It has small grey leaves, quite tightly packed. The former has small (but bigger if you get me drift) green leaves. Curry plant can easily be grown here and is often in garden centres. I think, like momol, you might have to import your curry leaf plant.
                    Last edited by Flummery; 21-01-2008, 08:06 PM. Reason: sp
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Flum. Always wondered if you could cook with the curry plant but suspected it would be a bit small for that.
                      Happy Gardening,
                      Shirley

Comment

I am talking about curry leaves which is in murraya family ( edible), I won't suggest curry plant for consumption as it is toxic ...

Momol

Comment

Originally posted by momol View Post
                          I am talking about curry leaves which is in murraya family ( edible), I won't suggest curry plant for consumption as it is toxic ... - ! Charmin'!!!

Momol
                          Do they come true to type, save us some berries then please. I'm sure I can find a good swop.
                          Last edited by smallblueplanet; 21-01-2008, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Oooooh spooky, we've moved!

The sambaar smells delicious, and is very simple, if anyone is interested I'll type in the recipe tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                              Do they come true to type, save us some berries then please. I'm sure I can find a good swop.
                              Madmax is just a short drive from Momol at the moment - perhaps he could go pinch a cutting
                              Happy Gardening,
                              Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X