X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mothhawk
    replied
    Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
    Lavender doesn't seem to do very well for me. Don't no if it's location or just me! I sowed some last year. They're still to small to plant out, but alive. So that's an improvement on any brought plants.
    What's your soil like up there SP? lavender really likes limey free draining dry soil best.

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    So, friend arrived last night and delivered the book. Should have gone to bed earlier, but I spent a while looking through it. Just the job. And very inspiring. Thanks for the recommendation, VC.

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
    Lavender's in the book so it must count .
    I only looked it up in the index. I've no idea what to do with it
    Alys Fowler has a nice recipe for lavender biscuits.

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    I don't have much lavender in this garden - the few plants I have are very small. Seeds this year, maybe?

Leave a comment:

• Small pumpkin
    replied
    Lavender doesn't seem to do very well for me. Don't no if it's location or just me! I sowed some last year. They're still to small to plant out, but alive. So that's an improvement on any brought plants.

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    I love lavender - brushing against the plants as you walk past is enough for me. Its one of those touchy-feely-smelly plants like fennel, lemon balm and mint. I don't need to actually "use" them, just stroke them as I pass by. Irresistible

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    ^Apparently the flowers are edible. Plus, bees like them (that's my main reason). Maybe lavender bags might work as pest repellents?

Leave a comment:

• Small pumpkin
    replied
    Lavender's in the book so it must count .
    I only looked it up in the index. I've no idea what to do with it

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    By the way, does lavender count as a herb? I've ordered some seeds...

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    ^I need spurring on to do something about my herbal aspirations. Plus, it got a rave review from a buyer on Amazon. Plus, plus, it wasn't exactly bank-breaking!

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    My sage plants look to have bitten the dust too in this last lot of snow.
    Hope you both like the book - I always worry when people buy a book I use.

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    I've ordered it too. Being brought over by a friend early April.

Sadly, my sage plant has died over the course of the winter. It was about 15 years old. Has a much loved and loving cat below it.

Leave a comment:

• Small pumpkin
    replied
    Books arrived .
    Only had a quick look. It looks good. I'll read it properly when my heads not full of smoke

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    Same here, SP. She lists herbs for dyeing as well as cooking, cosmetic, pot pourri etc.
    Each month has a project too. March is planting in containers with suggested plants for a "Pot of Silver" and a "Pot of Gold" and a Topiary project.

Leave a comment:

• Small pumpkin
    replied
    Books ordered

You're listing so many things I didn't realise were herbs

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X