Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Szechuan Peppers

Or however it's spelt. Zanthoxylum.

Anyway - Zaz is a bad bad bad person. *hangs head in shame.

Went to an arboretum last week. Encountered an 8ft tall bush of the above.

Came away with pockets of seeds.

*hangs head in shame

One pic on the day - and the other pic is after 4 days when the outside has dulled a bit and the pods have pushed the actual seed out...will sow the seeds and dry the pods.

Get in.

Or should I say - I'm very very very very very sorry.

Not.
    Attached Files

Where did you say this arboretum was and are there any left for us to find lying on the floor - where they would become an Elf ' Azard Very public spirited of you to remove them

Comment

I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you.

I may be going back there next week. *whistles.

Comment

Just been reading about them - today's homework!How to grow Szechuan pepper and make Chinese five spice | Life and style | guardian.co.uk
        I'm confused about which bit is eaten. I read it that you eat the husks, not the seed, but, by husk do they mean the "beechmast" outer case, or, what I assume is the pulpy bit that contains the actual seed

Comment

The bit that is left once the seed has been squeezed out. Which is does without any help from us!

That's the bit you eat. It's fantastic!

There's no pulp - they really are hard like peppercorns.
          Last edited by zazen999; 18-11-2012, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
            Or however it's spelt. Zanthoxylum.

Went to an arboretum last week. Encountered an 8ft tall bush of the above.

Came away with pockets of seeds.

*hangs head in shame

One pic on the day - and the other pic is after 4 days when the outside has dulled a bit and the pods have pushed the actual seed out...will sow the seeds and dry the pods.

Get in.

Or should I say - I'm very very very very very sorry.

Not.
            iz'foragin' innit?
            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

innit just.

Comment

You might need them all, and more. I've got a couple growing ( bought for real money) and they're the biggest slug magnets in the garden. They might reshoot next year from the roots, but right now all the bark has been taken off just leaving a few sticks and I've seen the perps clustered all over the plants.

Comment

But they are so spiky??? Not seen any slugs near my two established plants [also bought with real money].
                  Last edited by zazen999; 22-11-2012, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Did you manage to germinate any of the seeds? I've got quite a few seeds on the go now. I put them in a cold place for 3 months to undergo stratification which sources on the web tell me to and now in a propagator for the last 2 weeks but nothing as yet. Anybody have any luck with them?

Comment

Anybody sharing their seeds?

Comment

Originally posted by Ader1 View Post
                        Did you manage to germinate any of the seeds? I've got quite a few seeds on the go now. I put them in a cold place for 3 months to undergo stratification which sources on the web tell me to and now in a propagator for the last 2 weeks but nothing as yet. Anybody have any luck with them?
                        Not yet - these things usually take til spring.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                          Has anyone checked for Youtube footage of this????
                          Last edited by Nicos; 24-02-2013, 07:56 PM.
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Nicos,try a search ... seeds for sale/swap as advertised on Police 5
                            He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Did anybody have any luck germinating these seeds? I dind't. :-(

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X