No announcement yet.

Lemon Balm and Oregano

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both very easy to grow, which is a blessing as just love using oregano in virtually everything I eat. I've not had much experience with lemon balm but it sounds like its a useful little plant

Comment

I bought a lemon balm plant today. I plan to put it in a container. Does it need to be in a container on it's own or can it go in with other herbs?

Comment

Your lemon balm may swamp any less vigorous herbs if you put them in the same pot. I'd keep it separate!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          Your lemon balm may swamp any less vigorous herbs if you put them in the same pot. I'd keep it separate!
          Thanks. I'll keep it on it's own then. It smells wonderful which is why I bought it That and the fact that I'm totally addicted to buying plants

Comment

I have enough space to let it loose in the garden. It is a fantastic smell. There's a variegated lemon balm too which is not quite as vigorous as the common one.

Comment

I don't grow Lemon Balm for this exact reason. I do not need Lemon Balm invading my other plants! I bet it tastes and smells great, just not enough to risk the hassle.

Comment

My lemon balm plant has grown at least 3 inches in less than a week - it's definitely staying in it's own pot! It's needs repotting actually - will it's final size be limited by the container size or will I need to harvest regularly to keep it at a manageable size? I can see it getting out of control easily if I let it.

Comment

Put it into as big a pot as you like! Its the roots that spread to fill the pot, cutting the leaves controls the top growth but its the roots that are invasive! Think Mint!

Comment

keep it small if you can otherwise it'll run out of nutrients pretty fast in a pot.
                    I cut mine down before it flowers and aslo after it gets a certain size because the leaves go black if they're shaded too much - but mine's in the garden, out the front and out the back.

Comment

I'm another person who doesn't mind it (and mint) spreading! I'd rather pick out LB and mint than nettles/couch/mares tail etc

I've even planted both in my chicken run - better than nettles!!

Comment

I think lemon balm is better behaved than mint - it doesn't seem to send out those long runners/rhizomes that mint does, so it stays in clumps rather than running all over the garden. However, it definitely seeds around, so you may not want to let it bloom. I've grown it quite successfully in a 10-, maybe 12-inch terracotta pot in a fairly shady location. It seemed to take more gracefully to containment than mint, too!
                        March is the new winter.

Comment

few lemon balm leaves in the cavity of a fresh fish is a great way to use it cooking, but it has some medicinal uses too, dyspepsia, headache,mild sedative, scalds, etc

Comment

I've just made some lemon balm tea and it's absolutely gorgeous! Also been googling recipes - I may just make this for supper:

Lemon Balm Pesto

2 cups fresh lemon balm
                            1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
                            3 or 4 cloves garlic

Blend all ingredients together in a food processor until chunky, but not too well blended. Use to baste broiled or grilled fish or chicken, or serve as traditional pesto over pasta. Makes about 2 cups. (Not that it matters much here, but 1 cup = 240 ml.)

Also tempted by this one:

Lemon Balm Mojitos

Ingredients
                            1 sprig fresh lemon balm leaves ( About 5 leaves)
                            1 teaspoon sugar
                            1 1/2 ounces rum
                            1 1/2 ounces lime juice
                            top with Sprite or tonic water

Directions
                            Put the lemon balm and the sugar in a short glass, and muddle until well mushed together (don't go crazy, or you will have bits of lemon balm in your teeth).
                            Add the shot of rum, a squeeze of lime, and fill the glass with tonic water. Add ice and stir gently. Garnish with a lime or lemon balm sprig. Cheers!
                            Last edited by eirish; 25-05-2012, 11:14 AM.
                            March is the new winter.

Comment

I think I'll try the mojitos, forget the rest

Comment

I made the lemon balm pesto last night and it was rather nice. I did add some salt but otherwise followed the recipe. Not as sublime as basil pesto (is anything?!) but quite tasty with spinach and ricotta tortelloni, peas (frozen, sadly), pine nuts, and a sprinkling of grana padano.
                                March is the new winter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X