Lovage recipes anyone?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lovage recipes anyone?

My clump of lovage is springing up all over the place and its something that I rarely use. Just the odd leaf here and there chucked in a salad or soup, when I remember it - SO - I wondered whether you good people had any recipes that can make use of lots of it.
    Any thoughts on Lovage pesto?

Hugh Fearnley did something back a while ago on riverside cottage..
    think he added it to stew...as flavoring...

i havent see it grown locally it can grow into quite large clumps - perenial...
    do a little every day...
    keep it organic and taste and see the difference..

http://allotmentveggrower.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks AG. I have several of those large clumps. Its a very undemanding plant and quite attractive with its glossy leaves - but a few leaves at a time is enough! Would love to find a use for it all.

Comment

Originally posted by allotment grower View Post
        Hugh Fearnley did something back a while ago on riverside cottage..
        think he added it to stew...as flavoring...

i havent see it grown locally it can grow into quite large clumps - perenial...
        it was chicken stew that hugh used lovage in...

•500 gr dark chicken meat, skinned.
        •2 large celery sticks (can also use fresh lovage leaves)
        •1 coarsely chopped onion
        •3-4 cloves of garlic chopped
        •2 large carrots chopped
        •1 paprika chopped
        •a good bunch of basil coarsely chopped
        •a few leaves of sage
        •3 sun dried tomatoes in oil, thinly sliced
        •500 ml stock
        •1 cup red wine
        •small can tomato purée
        •a good glob of butter
        •a splash of olive oil
        •Salt and pepper to taste
        •sugar or honey to taste.
        •1 basil leaf
        do a little every day...
        keep it organic and taste and see the difference..

http://allotmentveggrower.blogspot.com/

Comment

The seeds taste like a cross between parsley and celery - odd combination but I am sure they would roast and spice something up. Hmmm - come to think of it, I wonder if they are edible?
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Thanks for looking AG. That's roughly how I use it - in stews and soups. Sometimes chopped leaves in salad but its is very strongly flavoured. A little goes a long way.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
              The seeds taste like a cross between parsley and celery - odd combination but I am sure they would roast and spice something up. Hmmm - come to think of it, I wonder if they are edible?
              A bit more goggling reveals that celery salt is made with ground lovage seeds, and the seeds sold as lovage seeds in Indian spice shops is actually Ajwain, not lovage. Confused?

Comment

This has been on my todo list for some time!

Wild Garlic, Lemon & Lovage Soup

Ingredients
                1 medium onion, finely chopped
                1 bunch wild garlic, finely chopped (Or, chives finely chopped)
                1/2 head celery, finely copped
                2 stems fresh lovage, finely chopped (Or, 1/2 teaspoon dried lovage)
                1 lemon, grated zest and juice
                200g rice
                1 litre vegetable stock
                salt and pepper, to season
                a little butter or vegetable oil for sweating the vegetables

Add the chopped onion, wild garlic and celery to a large saucepan with a little butter or oil and sweat over a medium heat for 5 minutes.

Add the rice and stir before adding the vegetable stock, chopped lovage, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt and pepper to season. Cover the pan, lower the heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or until rice is cooked and vegetables are soft.

Check the seasoning before serving in warm soup bowls with crusty bread and/or croutons.

Comment

My rabbits go mental for lovage, they love it, so I am often left with the smell of lovage on my hands but not been too sure what to make with it.

I do have a soup recipe though, I just havent made it myself.

Lovage & Almond Soup (from Covent Garden soup recipe book)

25g butter
                  1 med onion, finely chopped
                  110g fresh young lovage leaves, roughly chopped
                  1.2 litres veg stock
                  845ml milk
                  225g ground almonds
                  seasoning

Garnish:
                  150ml single cream
                  4 dessertspoons flaked almonds, toasted

Melt butter & cook onion gentle in covered saucepan until soft, without colouring. Stir in the lovage, cover and cook gently for 3 minutes. Add the stock, milk and ground almonds. Cover, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 15 mins, stirring from time to time. Cool a little, then puree in liquidiser until smooth. Taste for seasong. Cool, then chill in the fridge. Serve garnished with a swirl of cream and sprinkled generously with flaked almonds.

Also delicious hot.

Comment

Thanks Scarlet and Helgalush. Like the sound of both of those. I have plenty of three-cornered leek (like wild garlic but daintier) in the garden. I may try that with some lovage in soup tomorrow.

Comment

The wild garlic and lovage soup sounds lovely. I might give that one a go (sounds like less lovage is needed - the one I posted seems to need quite a lot so could be quite a strong flavour?)

Comment

Less lovage but half head of celery! I'll try all lovage but perhaps not quite as much as the recipe.

Comment

I grew lovage from seed last year and thought it had died but it has come back and I can almost seeing it grow as I look at it! There is a recipe on the BBC Good Food site that uses it with broad beans, shallots and other herbs as a topping for gammon steaks that I will try when this years broad beans are ready

Comment

Thanks Green Wolf. Last week I cooked chopped nettle tops, wild garlic and lovage together in the oil from a tin of anchovies and stirred it into cooked pasta with the chopped anchovies. Very cheap and tasty!!

Comment

I'm glad you asked this, I grew lovage from seed last year and didn't use it at all, kept forgetting to look up recipes. It's started growing like crazy again and I want to do something with it.

These recipes sound fab.
                              My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X