No announcement yet.

Lovage recipes anyone?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once sown Lovage will keep comming back, a nice cordial can be made by simmering 1kg stems and leaves with 500cc water for 20 mins, add 1kg sugar, simmer and strain, bring back to 90C and bottle in sterilised bottles, will keep indefinitely...ish
    Last edited by ohbeary; 07-04-2012, 10:19 PM.
    Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

Thanks ohbeary. Do you use young leaves or are old ones OK? Presume you dilute this cordial before drinking?
      Soon we'll be able to publish a book of lovage recipes!!!

Comment

You could make loveage cordial and treat yourself to a tipple

• 2 tablespoons fresh lovage seed
        • 1 pint vodka
        • 1/2 cup sugar
        • 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
        • A few red pepper seeds

Crush the lovage seeds slightly and add to the sugar, red and black pepper, and vodka in a one-quart lidded glass jar. Stir well, seal, and place in cool, dark place for at least 30 days. Strain and bottle.

There is also a brandy recipe

• 2 tablespoons dried lovage seeds
        • 1 pint good brandy
        • 2 cups water
        • 1 cup sugar
        • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
        • 1/4 cup lemon juice

Steep the lovage seeds in the brandy for 30 days in a cool, dark place. Make a sugar syrup by boiling the sugar and water together, covered, for 5 minutes. Strain the brandy and mix with the cooled sugar syrup and other ingredients. Pour into sterilized jars and refrigerate. It will keep up to three months.
        Last edited by Rhoda; 06-06-2012, 08:47 PM.

Comment

There's a few recipes here?

BBC - Food - Lovage recipes
          Old Fashioned Lovage And Potato Soup Recipe - Food.com - 253324

Comment

I'm growing lovage as part of a herb bed this year so the recipes are great thanks everyone
            A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows

Comment

Every time I do a simple roast chicken I always add a sprig of thyme, some sage leaves, a small sprig of rosemary and some lovage leaves. Lovage goes so well with chicken it is even nicer than celery leaf
              Reine de la cocina

Comment

How tall should I allow the Lovage to grow before I use it.
                I fancy making Lovage soup as I really like celery soup and would love to compare the two.
                Potato and lovage soup might be on the menu tomorrow if anybody could advise me on how mature or young the stalks and leaves need to be. Do I use the stalks and leaves or just the leaves?
                Cant wait!
                Thank you for all the smashing recipes.
                Lynne x

Comment

If you have a clump as I do, use it whenever you like! I can't eat enough of it to keep it under control.
                  Like celery, the older it gets, the stronger/tougher it is. I've just added the stalk of the leaf in my photo to a stirfry. I didn't use the leaf as well as I didn't want to overwhelm the other ingredients.
                  Follow your instincts, Wizz. If its too strong, reduce the quantity next time

Comment

I too have plants shooting by the minute that will take over their corner of the garden within a week. They grow well over my head!
                    I think they taste like a mixture of celery and curry and wonder if they would be good in a curry. I haven't tried this yet. We use a lot, mostly in salads which we have every day once it's possible to pick it from the garden.

Comment

Lovage is in flower now - Wizzbang, does your mystery plant look like this?
                      Attached Files

Comment

I haven't had that one even before so probably I would like to grow it myself. I'm so sorry but I'm not so familiar that's why. Anyways, can anyone tell me here the right way to grow this?

Comment

I don't know if this will grow in Oz; it may be too warm. Try starting the seeds in a pot of compost, keeping it damp. When it has grown true leaves plant it out in the soil, in the shade if your summer temperatures are high. It grows easily to 6ft here but we do have a lot of rain and very variable amounts of sun! Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                            Lovage is in flower now - Wizzbang, does your mystery plant look like this?
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]35714[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]35715[/ATTACH]
                            Hi chicken,
                            It isn't flowring yet but I am sure its lovage, it smells like celery, has leaves like celery but has a round smooth stem unlike celery. If I cook a stew or a soup this weekend ill put some of the leaves in.
                            I haven't had chance to have some with an apple or cheese yet but I will one day soon.
                            I don't have much room for eating at the moment after having eaten loads and loads of the Rhubarb!
                            Talk about jack and the beanstalk! Its massive.
                            Lynne x

Comment

I've just cooked a wodge of celery stalks and leaves in a stirfry - next time I'll use lovage!
                              Sounds like you have a garden full of triffids Lynne

Comment

I have! and I have some gorgeous triffidly tall weeds too with purple flowers. Really lovely but they are so big and blousy that they must be weeds. Doesn't matter to me, they are lovely and they are staying. Whoppers they are.
                                When I get into my own house, with my own books and my own space with some time of my own I will get my books out and identify everything that i'm not sure about in the gardens. I particularly want to identify the trees, some of them look very old ... but once again I digress.. Ill go voluntarily and sit on the naughty step.
                                Lynne x

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X