Heat for germination query

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat for germination query

Hi all, Work are looking at the possibility of growing their own herbs in an old flower bed at the front of the restaurant. The building has a big immersion room that produces heat in the region of 24/25c. Would this high temp be too much for herb seed's to germinate?
    www.gyoblog.co.uk

Well, I'd say no but as soon as they germinate they'll race away due to the heat (assuming it's light too?), so I'd move them somewhere cooler once they've germinated.

Comment

No, double doors so 95% darkness. I was planning to use the windowsills upstairs that are south facing. There's just one tiny store room up there so hardly anyone goes up. Its quite cool though, similar to the temp of a cold greenhouse at the moment. The windows are massive so i expect it to warm up quite quickly too.
      www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

Well, people do germinate in their airing cupboards and then move out.. Some herbs are a pain to germinate though.. by the time I had my coriander germinate I'd forgotten about it and planted the pot up with carrots.

It was only when I came to harvest the carrots did I notice that there was coriander in there too!

Good combo though

Comment

Originally posted by Chef_uk View Post
          Hi all, Work are looking at the possibility of growing their own herbs in an old flower bed at the front of the restaurant. The building has a big immersion room that produces heat in the region of 24/25c. Would this high temp be too much for herb seed's to germinate?
          The temperature is ideal for plenty. It depends what though. Parsley, for example, likes it cool.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X