Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I sowed some sage today, should it be alright? Late sowing.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I sowed some sage today, should it be alright? Late sowing.

I sowed sage outdoors, in the spring, none germinated or I may have mistaken them for a weed.

But I have decided to sow some today, both indoors and outdoors, should it be okay? It says sow no later than May, and we are almost in July.

I'm also thinking sowing more chives, as I like them, and mine have grown well. It recommends no later than May as well, but could it be okay to grow some now?

Its whether you will get anything of note before the autumn die back. It wont be a waste as they will come again next year but it may be worth a visit to a nursery and pick up a few plants to harvest now. Your chives once they establish themselves can be split into several clumps so that you have plenty to crop from in years to come.
    Fantasy reminds us that the soul is sane but the universe is wild and full of marvels

http://thefrontyardblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Nick, why don't you take notice of what it says on the seed packet? The advice is there for a reason!

Comment

Overwinter them indoors Nick once the weather starts to cool down and you should be OK .I've done that with chives and they were fine.
        Not tried sage- but keep the young plants frost free and they should make it.
        Let us know how you get on!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Sage has done fine outdoors, even though I sowed later that what it recommends, maybe it's because the winter is mild.

Something appears to have eaten much of the chives.. I do not know what.
          Last edited by Nick Blair; 09-01-2012, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Blair View Post

Something appears to have eaten much of the chives.. I do not know what.
            Chives tend to die back over winter, but they should sprout again when the weather warms up.

Comment

Yep, chives are one of the first things to reappear in January
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X