Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poorly lavender

One of my lavender plants isn't very well:

It had to be moved when the fence was put in. I also found what I believe to be cutworms on it.

It seems to be dead on one side, and whilst the other side is showing some new growth, I think it might be in trouble too.

What's my best course of action please?

Cheers,
    MBE
    Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
    By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
    While better men than we go out and start their working lives
    At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Cut the dead back hard. Then take half a dozen cuttings from the longer new growth you have, these will be your back up. But the healthy part looks good enough to drag the plant through!
    Last edited by dave_norm_smith; 07-05-2011, 01:18 PM.
    Fantasy reminds us that the soul is sane but the universe is wild and full of marvels

http://thefrontyardblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ok, I've cut the dead bit right back. I'll hold off on the cuttings for a moment, as there's another plant next to it I can use if the worst comes to the worst. Does it look like cutworm damage? There are still bits being eaten out of the new growth, but I can't find anything on the plant.

Thanks.
      At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Is there a chance it was exposed to frost on the side we see as damaged? I ask because some of mine went the same, it was the harsh winter that did it.
        aka
        Suzie

Comment

Cutworms are usually only a problem in recently - cleared grassland. I can't see why they would prefer lavender, which isn't known for attracting pests due to the strong volatile oils present.
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Pretty sure it's not frost. It's only happened recently, and the bush next to it is unaffected.

I took about 5-6 of these off the two bushes:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X