wild garlic/ramson

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wild garlic/ramson

While our for a walk yesterday, I came across wild garlic (ramson) growing. I'd like to add some to my allotment, but while googling for how best to do so, I read somewhere that digging it up is illegal (it was an old comment, so maybe this is not true anymore...). It seemed like people also do it by planting the seeds. Has anyone propagated wild garlic and how did you do it?
    Hill of Beans updated April 18th

Beware! We have Wild Garlic in our lottie. it was there when we took it over and grow all over the place. It must self seed easily.
    However, i have read that its good for wildlife, while the smell help deter the Cabbage White.
    Part of our local wood is formed by old abandon allotments and they are a mass of white right now.
    roger
    Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

I've collected all the new wild garlic shoots this year and they are all in a little pot. I was just waiting for someone to ask to I'll send them to you if you like. They should flower next year.

Comment

Can you eat it/use the leaves in anything? There's a country lane I take to goto work/go home that's referred to as 'Garlic Lane'.. always wondered.

Comment

We have wild garlic in our little orchard.... it's lovely!

You can use the leave in all sorts - risottos, salads, through mashed potatoes etc

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
            Can you eat it/use the leaves in anything? There's a country lane I take to goto work/go home that's referred to as 'Garlic Lane'.. always wondered.
            I suggest getting a copy of Food for Free by Richard Mabey if you're interested in foraging at all.
            Probably best not pay much attention to the fungus part if you want to avoid trips in an ambulance though. The subtleties of some mushroom species are not best learned from a book. It was enough to identify the mushrooms in the back garden as indelible, but I wouldn't go any further than that myself.

Still, it's a good book and maybe available at your local library.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
              I've collected all the new wild garlic shoots this year and they are all in a little pot. I was just waiting for someone to ask to I'll send them to you if you like. They should flower next year.
              I'd be interested in some. So does this mean that it's illegal for me to dig up some where I found them growing or they don't propogate well that way?
              Hill of Beans updated April 18th

Comment

Digging up wild plants is illegal (unless they are notifiable pests like Japanese knotweed!) Collecting leaves or seeds is ok though.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Or, like we did... find someone who owns some land that has wild garlic on it, and allows you to dig up a clump....

Comment

I tried to grow it from seed a couple of years ago and it failed miserably.
                    zazen999 if I manage to find some in the wild, is it easy to take cuttings? Are there any well known spots in the derby area?

Comment

How much do you want ;-)
                      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I can remember many years ago being on a treasure hunt, one of the things we had to collect was wild garlic, we could smell it but didnt know what it looked like. Of course when we got back to base and saw what we were supposed to collect we wished we had got some. Boy did it stink, we were looking everywhere for it.
                        Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                        and ends with backache

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                          How much do you want ;-)
                          Thank you for your very kind offer. I have sent you a PM. :-)

Comment

PMd you back
                            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I'm desperate for some wild garlic since trying some from a friend's veg box! I'm thinking of growing in a container to prevent it spreading - but will the seeds travel? Another possibility I thought of was sinking paving slabs vertically into the soil to segregate an area for wild garlic, right at the back of the garden in the shady spot by the fence. This may have the advantage of out-competing the bindweed that comes through the fence from the tram sidings - but again I wouldn't want to be responsible for infesting the sidings with wild garlic.
                              Any advice on how best to grow the stuff without the garden getting covered please? I already have a 3 cornered leek infestation as of this spring - also edible but I don't fancy it, to be honest!

Nb - I'd love to arrange a swap too, but I gather I have to do 50 posts before I'm eligible for swapping... sigh

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X