harvesting coriander seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harvesting coriander seed

My coriander has all gone to seed and I hoping to harvest it both for sowing and cooking.

Should I wait until the stems and seed have turned brown or can I cheat a bit and take the seeds off while they are well developed but still green?

I was also thinking of cutting the plants off at the base while still green and harvesting the seed when the whole plant had dried.

If they're green, they aren't ripe. You need to let them ripen (brown) then you can bring the whole plant in and hang in a dry place for the seeds to drop
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thank you Two Sheds. I will be patient.

Comment

By the way Hailtryfan, can you add your location to your profile please? That way it shows up on your posts and saves us having to keep asking whereabouts you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          If they're green, they aren't ripe. You need to let them ripen (brown) then you can bring the whole plant in and hang in a dry place for the seeds to drop
          Ooopsss I cut mine from the plant when some were still green, I've got them hanging in the greenhouse drying...
          Will they 'work'????
          Aspiring grow-your-own good-life goddess...

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
            By the way Hailtryfan, can you add your location to your profile please? That way it shows up on your posts and saves us having to keep asking whereabouts you are.
            Good point rustylady. Should be sorted now.

Comment

Talking of Coriander, I tried some lemon coriander seeds off eBay the beginning of this year and they were most foul. Just the smell was enough to make my stomach churn. Not the best variety, stick to tried and tested
              Last edited by craigrockfield; 09-09-2010, 10:32 PM.
              Regards, Craig Rockfield.

Visit my plot at Dykes Edge... www.dykesedge.blogspot.com

Comment

craigrockfield, I momentarily got dead excited there, because I love anything herby and lemony, and then got totally deflated by what you said.

Any advances on exactly why it wasn't pleasant for you personally?

I'd be happy to experience it myself if you have any spare/saved seed.X

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X