growing herbs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• growing herbs

hello im a coplete beginner at all things garden. im planning and sorting my garden for the next season for vegetables and fruits. im also very interested in growing my own herbs as i do a lot of home made cooking but find fresh herbs can be a bit pricey.

i basically want some tips on how to grow them. the main ones i use are sage, thyme, mint basil and thyme.

do they grow better in pots or in the ground? when can they be planted? and how are they tended?
    thank you in advance

Mint will grow like a weed and spread throughout the garden, so I grow mine in large pots. Sage can go in the ground, as can thyme. Both need fairly free-draining soil and you should be able to pick up plants from any garden centre. Basil I've never had much luck with.

Comment

ah thank you. erm can i ask what free draining soil is? (sorry)

Comment

Originally posted by gemsplus2 View Post
        ah thank you. erm can i ask what free draining soil is? (sorry)
        If you water it and the water soaks in fairly quickly that is free-draining. Usually fairly gritty or sandy, not solid clay.

Comment

ah thanks again (sorry i actually forgot i posted this. just getting to grips with the forums still) i think i will start with some mint and thyme.

does the smell of the herbs attract any wildlife either wanted or unwanted?

Comment

Are you anywhere near an Aldi as they had 6 herbs for 99p today (reduced from £1.99 so might be a local offer)
            Your herbs will not attract wildlife until they flower.

Comment

I grow my thyme in a terracotta pot and my mint in a big decorative one. If you get basil from the supermarket then you can root stems in water to keep it going. When you get really keen you can grow it from seed. I have Lime Basil and lemon basil on the go as well as the ordinary one.
              Attached Files
              Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

Is your Basil outside? I have grown it from seed on a window and it's about 15cms tall and was going to plant it outside in a big sink with some others I have grown (Thyme, Coriander, Chives) will it do ok outside?
                Last edited by Aaron T; 12-07-2010, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Consider the following herb gardening tips:

Sage

Sage is another plant that can easily be grown from its seeds. Start planting in the early spring if you want to grow these plants yourself. If you prefer, you can buy starter plants from your local nursery. Wait until mid-spring to set these out and be sure to plant them about one-foot apart.

Thyme

You can start this herb from seeds. Sometime in mid-spring, make shallow rows for the seeds and plant them about one foot apart. When the thyme seedlings are established, thin them out to about six inches from each other.

Mint

Start planting your mint in the autumn or spring. You'll have the best results if you begin with the actual roots of the plants. Plant four- to six-inch pieces of the root. Make sure they're about two inches deep and a good 12 inches apart.

Water these roots well and check them occasionally. They are quite aggressive. and can easily overtake the roots of neighboring plants. You can prevent this by sinking boards or brinks about one-foot deep around the beds.

Basil

Start your basil plants early in the spring, preferably in a greenhouse or a sun-drenched windowsill. Early in the summer, transplant this herb to your garden. If you have the courage, sow basil seeds directly into your herb garden early in the spring. Or you may want to try your hand at both methods, just in case the seeds don't catch.
                  Carmel Santos
                  CEO of Herb Gardening Guide
                  Growing Herbs in Pots
                  Herb Garden Guide

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X