No announcement yet.

Herb wheel?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garden centres can be a bit same old etc for herbs I've found. How about seeing what the grapes are able to offer you? I know it will be seed and therefore a couple of months before it is taking shape but deffo much cheaper and you could find yourself with a good variety.
    Bright Blessings
    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Earthbabe View Post
      Garden centres can be a bit same old etc for herbs I've found. How about seeing what the grapes are able to offer you? I know it will be seed and therefore a couple of months before it is taking shape but deffo much cheaper and you could find yourself with a good variety.
      I've got two good Garden centres close by and both have useful looking herb selections! I know I'm impatient, but it's a bit like those makeover programmes as I'm after instant looks!!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
        Herb wheel is nearly complete and it has eight spokes. Its made with grey granite sets that I just happened to have lying around.
        Because the gardens on a slope its been a b*gger to set out and my hands are like sandpaper with handling the sets. Meant to take a photograph but by the time I left the lottie it was starting to get dark. Quite pleased with the effect though, now all I've got to do is fill in the spokes with herbs!
        Well done Snadger! I spent all day yesterday working on mine and it's almost done too . I used flint for the spokes... I've got tones of it in the gardes, and I'm in the chalky ridge of the North Downs, and I'm very pleased with the effect. OH is not too sure as it looks a bit bare at the moment.

So far I planted some rosemary, thyme, sage, parsley, oregano and lemon balm, and in the middle I put a small euonymus 'emerald and gold' bush for a bit of colour. I'm planning to add coriander, chives, marjoram and basil when it gets a bit warmer.

I'll take some pictures of it this week. I look forward to seeing yours!

Comment

That sounds wonderful, Feather - look forward to the pics!

Comment

Originally posted by *Feather* View Post
            Well done Snadger! I spent all day yesterday working on mine and it's almost done too . I used flint for the spokes... I've got tones of it in the gardes, and I'm in the chalky ridge of the North Downs, and I'm very pleased with the effect. OH is not too sure as it looks a bit bare at the moment.

So far I planted some rosemary, thyme, sage, parsley, oregano and lemon balm, and in the middle I put a small euonymus 'emerald and gold' bush for a bit of colour. I'm planning to add coriander, chives, marjoram and basil when it gets a bit warmer.

I'll take some pictures of it this week. I look forward to seeing yours!
            You've got me worried now feather! I hope yours doen't make mine look very amateurish! As you say, they look a bit bare without the plants, but I am determined not to rush into planting and will only buy plants as I can afford them and at a time of year that they are reasonably priced.
            A packet of Parsley and coriander seeds are my sole contribution so far, but I'll get there eventually.
            Both my allotments revolve around this central hub (If you'll excuse the pun!) so it's worth taking my time, measuring, and getting it right. Once the groundwork is done and the bare bones of my planned plot are in position I can finally get round to planting!
            Post piccies at weekend hopefully! Looking forward to seeing yours as well!
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

You two have been busy, I haven't even started yet, - but - excuse time
              i garden on clay and it is so wet at the moment and i have to move some plants from the area. I know enough excuses I just need to get up from my ......... comfy chair and get put there,but I have sown some herb seeds, I will keep you posted.
              Looking forward to pinching your ideas, whops did I say that out loud, meant to say seeing you pics.
              Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
              -- Alfred E. Neumann
              http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                You've got me worried now feather! I hope yours doen't make mine look very amateurish! As you say, they look a bit bare without the plants, but I am determined not to rush into planting and will only buy plants as I can afford them and at a time of year that they are reasonably priced.
                A packet of Parsley and coriander seeds are my sole contribution so far, but I'll get there eventually.
                Both my allotments revolve around this central hub (If you'll excuse the pun!) so it's worth taking my time, measuring, and getting it right. Once the groundwork is done and the bare bones of my planned plot are in position I can finally get round to planting!
                Post piccies at weekend hopefully! Looking forward to seeing yours as well!
                I wouldn't worry Snadger. It sounds fancier than what it actually looks. I planted the herbs that survived from last year with such a mild winter, and the rest will be from seed... if I ever get the bl**dy seeds from Dobies! I've spoken to 6 different people in their call centre since January and they keep telling me they've sent them and that they are sending 'another' replacement... I'm still waiting!

I like your idea of the allotments revolving around the wheel...

Comment

Finally got a few photographs taken today! Here's the hub of the plot the herb wheel which is yet to be planted! I have attempted to join two lotties together with a Potager theme! I'll stick a few more pictures of progress on my plot in the 'Fruit and vegetable showcase' unless LJ decides to move them!
                  The wheel is far from finished yet but it should give you an idea of what I am trying to achieve!
                  Attached Files

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I'm very impressed Snadge. Makes my herb bed look sad. I'll have to do something with it soon and get stuff growing. Is that a fruit tree you have in the middle?

Comment

Looks excellent, its big ! what the size of it ? holds the plots together well.
                      Last edited by denise; 17-03-2007, 07:26 PM.
                      Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
                      -- Alfred E. Neumann
                      http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley Jay
                        Snadger that looks great! Why would I want to move your photo's????
                        Not sure where to put them. Fruit and vedge showcase is the only photo thread, but this isn't really pictures of fruit and veg (well, not many anyway!)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by madderbat View Post
                          I'm very impressed Snadge. Makes my herb bed look sad. I'll have to do something with it soon and get stuff growing. Is that a fruit tree you have in the middle?
                          It's a Morello cherry tree, I only stuck it there for the photo shoot as it's the only fruit tree in a decent pot apart from the ones I can't lift. Still like the idea of a Bay tree for the centre but the trouble is, it's an exposed windy site!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by denise View Post
                            Looks excellent, its big ! what the size of it ? holds the plots together well.
                            Planned it to be six foot diameter but got my diameters and radii mixed up and it finished up twelve foot diameter.

As you say, and I agree it looks better for it!

I suppose you could call it a happy accident!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I do like the idea of a herb wheel in the centre of a lottie. I grow my veg in the garden at home and have a small herb bed just outside the back door (so I can cook with herbs in the rain when I'd be too wimpy to go far). One I wouldn't be without is hyssop. It has a slightly musty smell but lovely in flower. I use the leaves when cooking beef (which I don't eat as a veggie so you might not want to put too much faith in that recommendation!
                              It's also a useful herb when you have a bunged up nose. Crush a bit in boiling water and breathe on the steam. It "liquefies mucus" - too much info?
                              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                                I do like the idea of a herb wheel in the centre of a lottie. I grow my veg in the garden at home and have a small herb bed just outside the back door (so I can cook with herbs in the rain when I'd be too wimpy to go far). One I wouldn't be without is hyssop. It has a slightly musty smell but lovely in flower. I use the leaves when cooking beef (which I don't eat as a veggie so you might not want to put too much faith in that recommendation!
                                It's also a useful herb when you have a bunged up nose. Crush a bit in boiling water and breathe on the steam. It "liquefies mucus" - too much info?
                                Nice one Flummery, I've just googled Hyssop and came up with this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyssop

Seems to have everything I require so I think one of the spokes will have to have Hyssop in it! Love the biblical link as well!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X