parsley 2nd time around..

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• parsley 2nd time around..

ive noticed that my parsley from last year is sending up new growth. my question is:

will this parsley be alright again this year, or should i start again from seed?
    it did bolt last year, so will that still affect the flavour of the new growth coming through?

cheers in advance!
    http://pot-to-plot.blogspot.com/ My brand spanking new plot

Originally posted by crazii_c View Post
    will that still affect the flavour of the new growth coming through?
    there's a surefire way of finding out ...
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Crazii C is it growing outdoors in the ground, or in a pot? I have found that parsley does bolt and go to seed in the second year: mine is growing in the herb part of my lottie and I will let it self seed and replenish itself so that I will have a constant supply in what is now the parsley patch - cloched in the worst of the winter.
      If it is in a pot and you want a parsley patch, just put the pot where you want it to seed and let it get on with the job!
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I am eating mine now which is a second year crop, tastes good to me. But I always resow every year as after the second year it has had it.
        Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

Originally posted by stella View Post
          I am eating mine now which is a second year crop, tastes good to me. But I always resow every year as after the second year it has had it.
          Ditto Stella. I brought a large pot indoors for the winter cos we love it but it died. Shoved it outside in disgust a few weeks ago and the second year growth has started. I always start new each year though. 2nd year tastes the same but can go straggly.
          Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
          >
          >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Parsley is a biennial. That means it produces leafy growth in it's first year (which we eat), and in it's second year it produces seed. The leaves it produces in it's second year will be perfectly edible, but there won't be many of them as it's main aim is to produce flowers and seed.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
              Parsley is a biennial. That means it produces leafy growth in it's first year (which we eat), and in it's second year it produces seed. The leaves it produces in it's second year will be perfectly edible, but there won't be many of them as it's main aim is to produce flowers and seed.

Oh right, well i want lots of leaves so prob best to start again. i have bought some more seed anyway so i will sow them this year. im quite tempted to leave last years parsley and see what its like while my new seeds are growing!
              http://pot-to-plot.blogspot.com/ My brand spanking new plot

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X