germinating chives

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• germinating chives

Hi I have now sown 2 lots of chives 2 weeks apart into compost in the house and germination rate, nil. Do they need something special ie time in the fridge, soaking or anything else? Advice please
    Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

I have some by the window and there doing well all I did was give them bottom heat till they started to come up and then stoped.

Hope that helps.

Dave...

Comment

Cheating I know but Lidl`s pots of chives in the veg section are bursting out of their pots & I made 3 clumps of them in the garden last year & they`re just coming back though again. Not bad for 99p or 75p if you buy 2 pots.

Comment

I suspect your compost is too wet, or the seed is past it's sell-by. Chives are normally easy to germinate.

Comment

I sowed my chive seeds 3 weeks ago now and nil germination so far, not sure what i've done wrong have it in the kitchen on an inner windowsill and have put a cloche (half a pop bottle) on it. I'm assuming they're not going to germinate now so thinking of sowing some more this weekend.
          Katie

Comment

Originally posted by Dave & Kate N Wales View Post
            I sowed my chive seeds 3 weeks ago now and nil germination so far, not sure what i've done wrong have it in the kitchen on an inner windowsill and have put a cloche (half a pop bottle) on it. I'm assuming they're not going to germinate now so thinking of sowing some more this weekend.
            Katie
            My guess is that either the seed isn't fresh or the compost is too wet. Chives shouldn't need a cloche over them and should germinate quite readily. Just keep them on a windowsill and you should get germination in under 2 weeks.

Alternatively, maybe the cloche needs to be from a Pepsi bottle rather than a Coke bottle...........
            Regards

Rich
            http://vegpatchblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

tried garlic chives as well as above same result in 2 weeks (nil). So moved them into a dark cupboard. One week later loads of seedings yay!!!!

Comment

How long is the germination time
                Dont judge a plant by it's pot.

Comment

2 tiny green shoots appeared this morning so looks like they were just a bit slow!!!

Comment

Not sure what it is suposed to be but mine took at least 3 weeks to show

Comment

I cheated too...... 2 years ago i bought a pot from asda, it was reduced to 10p put it in the garden and it flowered the first year, then again last year, obviously dropped seeds both times and now i have a nice thick plant! new shoots already appearing, best 10p i ever spent!!

Comment

I got herb seeds (basil, chives, oregano and coriander). I hadn't found this site and wasn't sure how many seeds to sow at a time, so I sowed 6 per pot. Obviously not enough, but all have them have germinated and grown, apart from my chives.

Only two little skinny sprouts have come up and they've had exactly the same treatment as my other herbs. What did I do wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Nykied View Post
                          I got herb seeds (basil, chives, oregano and coriander). I hadn't found this site and wasn't sure how many seeds to sow at a time, so I sowed 6 per pot. Obviously not enough, but all have them have germinated and grown, apart from my chives.

Only two little skinny sprouts have come up and they've had exactly the same treatment as my other herbs. What did I do wrong?
                          You haven't done anything wrong some seeds just take longer than others, how long ago did you sow them?
                          As long as the compost isn't too wet they should be fine, pop them in a nice sunny spot on the windowsill and they should be up in about 7 to 10 day's.

Comment

Originally posted by ginger ninger View Post
                            You haven't done anything wrong some seeds just take longer than others, how long ago did you sow them?
                            As long as the compost isn't too wet they should be fine, pop them in a nice sunny spot on the windowsill and they should be up in about 7 to 10 day's.
                            About two weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Nykied View Post
                              About two weeks ago.
                              They might just need a little more heat and sun to get them to germinate, if your still having problems with them, pm me and I'll send you some of my seeds, I've also some Thai Basil seeds if you'd like to try them??

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X