No announcement yet.

Grow Your Own Ginger Challenge Part 2

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think the trick with ginger is to get it growing well indoors and timing it just right so it can have a nice summer outside. Over a couple of years. At the end you get a tuber a bit bigger than the one you planted. In other words it is an interesting houseplant - and it would be nice to have a few flowering gingers but they belong in a tropical rainforest!
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

• new photos of my ginger growing, the organic ginger is doing the best, the leaves have a mild ginger smell and taste, galangal started growing after i put it in a heated propagator, both will be going into a hydoponics system.
      Attached Files

Comment

• do you remember the potato experiment most of us did at school? put it in a shoe box with a small hole in the end and the potato would send out tubers to find the light source.do the same with the ginger I only discovered this when I found some old ginger sprouting in the back of our larder, roots and all gotta be worth a try?

Comment

• My ginger is blooming :-)
          Attached Files

Comment

• hi all ,can anybody the best time to start ginger ? indoors or outdoor thanks
            The Dude abides.

Comment

• My ginger hasn't sprouted yet, so now would be a good time to plant a root indoors. I keep it indoors year round, but apparently it can go outside in summer.

Comment

• cheers i`ve tried a few methods with of growing ginger (some chopped ,some whole,some indoor, some outdoor and some soaked in water for about 5 days then planted )i`ll let you no how i get on ,cheers
                The Dude abides.

Comment

• Mine planted January into MPC about 1/2" below surface,topped off & watered ..

Attached Files
                  He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

• My ginger has been in a pot since 10th August. The shoot is now about 8-9 inches tall. It is in the bottom of my little plastic greenhouse which is shaded by an olive tree. The ginger was bought at Lidl's complete with sprouts. 2 pieces were planted and 2 pieces were put into dry compost ready for planting in the spring - just to see which does better. They do not like to be too wet though and to have free draining soil and protected from extremes of heat.
                    Just think happy thoughts

Comment

• I have tried several times to grow ginger .However Ithink this time I might've more successful. The first green shoot died but a new one has replaced it and is growing nicely.The pot is standing near a radiator and I am now watering.I did not know about soaking the ginger before planting so this may be the reason for previous failures.Thank you for your advice.

Comment

• I bought normal ginger from Tesco in January, started 2 in propagator. As soon as the first leave riched 2 inches, planted in a sandy, bark, compost mixture and kept in the house near window. Just put them out in the greenhouse. So far, happy with the progress.

Comment

• I would like to join . I haven't got my ginger . But I'm goin to do it in next week.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X