The best herb ever!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rhona,

Viet Corriander is not really the same as the other stuff - VERY easy to grow though. Tender and needs shelter but growing outside this year - but I'm not in Sheffield.

If you want a cutting I can send one as I have some rooting in water presently - send me a PM.

More info here:
    Persicaria odoratum VIETNAMESE CORIANDER [vietnamese coriander] - £2.80p : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

Comment

Originally posted by Storming Norman View Post
      Rhona,

If you want a cutting I can send one as I have some rooting in water presently - send me a PM.
      Marvellous! Very kind - I will PM you.

I've picked up a Greek Basil plant today - have tried it before and found it hardier than 'normal' basil. Nice flavour - not quite as lush as the usual but perfectly pleasant.
      I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
        I have just made some pesto from scratch for the first time ever (Jamie Oliver's recipe) and I can't believe how good it was compared to the little jars you buy!
        Can you link to the recipe?

I've never gotten around to making my own. Despite generally turning my nose up at supermarket food, for some reason, when it comes to pesto, I always seem to prefer the cheap supermarket rubbish (Sacla). I have bought expensive fresh pesto before (£7 for a small container), but didn't really like it. I think this year I'll start trying my own to come up with a recipe I like.
        Last edited by maypril; 29-12-2009, 05:41 PM.

Comment

I have to say Basil in summer- but nope- can't say for winter...Oh- and Greek basil eh???.....yum!!!!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I picked the last of my basil from the lottie in October and put it in a glass of water - little devils put out water roots so I was using into November!
            Maypril here is the link to Jamie's recipe - I suggest using home grown basil though as the flavour is so good! All I have now is a bag of shop bought stuff - not the same at all.
            Pesto recipe | Sauce recipes & dressings | Jamie Oliver recipe
            Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Parsley for me.Chives,rosemary,lovage,most recently thyme.
              I like basil but it's one of the things I never managed to grow myself

Comment

My favourite herb is banana, I just wish it would grow in East Anglia
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

What kind of a herb is a banana? I heard they smoked the skins in the 60's but this is altogether stranger!
                  How about a little house redesign, two sheds?
                  He's not bananas, just first to grow them in a UK home - Nature, Environment - The Independent
                  Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                    What kind of a herb is a banana? I heard they smoked the skins in the 60's but this is altogether stranger!
                    It doesn't work, or so I am told

I love rosemary, really useful and smells lovely
                    Last edited by FionaH; 30-12-2009, 11:23 AM.
                    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I grew Thai Basil this year, the flavor is a bit sweeter than our basil, smaller bush as well it has very delicate flowers that are nice in salads, might give your pesto recipe a go this year Jeanie, I'm going to grow some from seed I saved.

Comment

mix of 3 herbs I struggle to choose just 1..Basil, Lemon Thyme and coriander (more the seeds rather than the leaves)
                        Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

In winter I love the comforting taste and scent of thyme. It changes a cheap joint of meat, cooked slowly, into a a gourmet delight. In summer I love dill on chicken or fish. Strange that because many 'aniseedy' herbs leave me cold, especially fennel and (sorry) coriander leaves just taste like mud.
                          Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                          >
                          >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

My trouble with using herbs is that I tend to use a little bit of that and a bit of that. In the end I am not quite sure which one is hitting the spot. I do like basil ie pesto and will try making some Jeanied. I also love oregano but feel it has to go with tomatoes which I do not use that often.

Comment

Coriander. I just love it. I just wish I could get it to grow. Real problems getting it to germinate, so any advice gratefully received.

I said to my mate that it was the greatest herb ever, but he said the greatest herb ever was illegal in the UK.
                              Last edited by COMPOST CORNER; 30-12-2009, 04:37 PM.

Comment

I have a bush of oregano outside the kitchen door - it is there 365 days of the year. I got it by sprinkling a handful of seed there 2 springs ago and that's it! I uprooted half of it and transferred it to the other garden last spring but the 'mothership' persists.

Marvelous stuff.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X