X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand pain

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas on the following:

I work as a gardener, I love it, but I am getting really bad pain in my hands. I'm going to see a consultant soon. But in the mean time I'd like to know if anyone else struggles with this too?

What I find most painful is using hedge trimmers. Having to constantly hold the trigger in due to the safety features on this type of power tool is agony atm. Does anyone else have this or has found something better/ a work around?

I'd also love to know of any ergonomic hand tools like lawn edging shears etc that you have found.

Many thanks and fingers crossed this pain isn't going to end my career!

That's a problem, Suziebun, especially seeing as it's your job.

I must admit I have problems using one of my hand hoes. I love the hoe and it's really good at what it does, but at the start of the season, it takes me some time to get the muscles in my hand strong enough to use it for long periods of time. I had the same problem with my clutch hand when I started riding a motorbike.

Is this recent? Have you tried out other power tool hedge trimmers to see if they give you the same problem? I presume you're hoping not to have to use hand hedge trimmers as they would take a long time to complete the job.

Comment

I suffer from pains in my hands especially across the base of my fingers, I mostly ignore it but have found that thick gloves help I also take hemp oil capsules occasionally which does ease it
      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I have a similar problem. The pain at night kept me awake or woke me up. I eventually went to the doctor's and he asked what I had tried. I told him in order of use: paracetamol, codeine and tramadol (all of which he had prescribed for other problems in the past). I got a slight raise of the eyebrows and he then decided that it was possibly nerve pain and prescribed Amitriptyline. It really helps. I do still get hand pain but nothing like I did. It used to be like toothache of the knuckles.

Snoop, I also used to ride a motorbike, but was very young and never had a problem then.

Comment

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
          Snoop, I also used to ride a motorbike, but was very young and never had a problem then.
          It was only at the start, while I was getting used to it. I presume the muscles strengthened and that put an end to the issue.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their replies, I'm glad I'm not just being soft!
            Turns out I have carpal tunnel in both wrists, so splinting at night and lots of painkillers atm.

Comment

I saw a physio and have arthritis in my thumb joints. She gave me exercises to do rather than advise splints as she felt they can over compensate and lose strength but se.people prefer them.
              Northern England.

Comment

Really sorry to hear that, Suziebun. You're most definitely not being soft. Good luck.

Comment

Thank you 🙂🤞

Comment

Darn- that’s frustrating CG

No console but it’s pretty common. Just make sure you keep stretching that joint!
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Does anyone know of or tried any ergonomic gardening tools?

Comment

Originally posted by Suziebun View Post
                        Maybe start a new thread, Suziebun, on this topic to get more people noticing.

Comment

^^^ good idea!
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Suziebun View Post
                            I don't but haven't looked. I have found on weeding the hand tool like a little rake not trowel or fork gives me alot less pain.
                            there's alot of ergonomic tools around now, tends to be how/where the hand sits and its shape.
                            Northern England.

Comment

I too have carpal tunnel syndrome and have found that when using the likes of a how or rake seems to aggravate it as the pins and needles are more severe after using those tools, though braking sandstone with a heavy hammer also causes it, so I would recommend that you avoid those, I have also found that if you hang on to something above your head and just let your weight hang on it without using your muscles helps
                              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X