Flowering Herbs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flowering Herbs

The weather/temps have been all over the place and my dill, curly parsley and chervil have started to flower. I picked the flowers off, was I right to do this - have they had it and do I need to resow?

As for dill and parsley-only leaves get harvested so if you let it have the flowers you could save some seeds from them.

Comment

I chew dill and fennel seeds fresh from the plant............the Romans aparrently used them as breath fresheners!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

(my) parsley is biennial, and once it's decided to seed that's its job done. Some are perennial, but I find they get a bit woody if I leave them too long in the ground. I let them seed themselves.

Chervil is annual ... once it's flowered, it's job done. Let them both re-seed themselves.

Dill is perennial ... cut the plant down to an inch of its base as soon as there is any sign of the flower heads developing. With a little luck, the plants will re-grow to produce a second crop in late summer.
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 23-06-2009, 06:19 AM.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

[QUOTE=Two_Sheds;481930
          Dill is perennial ... cut the plant down to an inch of its base as soon as there is any sign of the flower heads developing. With a little luck, the plants will re-grow to produce a second crop in late summer.[/QUOTE]

Never tried to grow dill this way,I might try as I use loads of it.I'm convinced that dill is definitely annual-I'm a bit surprised that it's described as perennial-I never had a plant re-growth.
          Last edited by coreopsis; 24-06-2009, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Dill is a perennial and therefore can last several years. However, it is only hardy down to about -4C, so it is sown from seed each year in this country.
            Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
            >
            >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X