Basil grow......... indoor/outdoor

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by muslimgrower View Post
    my young basil plants are really loving it under the lights. but the more bushier it gets and has lots of leaves on it it will need a more powerful light than my humble 35 watt light.. so i shall see, i may leave some at the windowsill and maybe one or two under the light...

keep ya all informed land lubbers
    Muslimgrower, I'm very impressed as I find basil (just the ordinary kind) hard enough to grow. Encouraged by reading about yours, I'm going to try starting some seeds on the windowsill - one question - is this one of the special growing lights?
    My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by maytreefrannie View Post
      one question - is this one of the special growing lights?
      thanks ..

no just a regular tube light that you find in shops and schools etc.....

Comment

Originally posted by MrsC View Post
        Thanks Muslimgrower, I've always said you can grow Basil all year round indoors, sorry, but got shot down in flames for it a few times when saying it on here. I grow a few different varieties but not the Thai variety you have growing, will pm you if u have any seeds left
        I get shot down in flames regularly...and agree - you can grow basil all year round. Outdoors too. The basil outside my back door agrees with you - although now the snow has gone it appears a little more upbeat than it was a few weeks back.

Oregano too, can be grown year round. I've got a small patch of that in the garden doing well as we speak.

Comment

^Hmmmm interesting, but basil is an annual plant eh !!

maybe down south you have better luck for it to overwinter outdoors without shrivelling away and dying... but indoors you can grow it all year round . if you have an indoor setup.. 3ftx3ft will suffice, and its quite rewarding... its great for seedlings though, you can get them to grow a nice rootball and lovely leafs before you put them outdoors.. get a 3 week head start..

i have even grown lentils indoors in very small pots ( mung daal)

Comment

I'm in the Midlands MG...perhaps I've stumbled on a hardy strain. I'm saving it for seeds so when they come, I'll be able to share them around.

Comment

Thing is I never find Basil hard to grow, pop a few seeds in and cover, not too much water and up it pops! I love my herbs though, grow allsorts, good thread MG!

Comment

Never had much luck with basil, apart from the first year I grew it and I planted it out in the garden and I had loads! I'm off to get some seeds!
                Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

I really want basil, coriander and parsley but every time I try to grow it the snails and slugs get to it first
                  Rachel

Trying to tame the mad thing called a garden and getting there I think!

My Garden Mayhem...inspirational blog for me I hope! - updated 16/04/09

Comment

Originally posted by Gryfon View Post
                    I really want basil, coriander and parsley but every time I try to grow it the snails and slugs get to it first
                    That's strange because I've never had problems with snail and slugs eating mine. Whatabout growing in pots in the kitchen?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X