• Show
Clear All

mmmmmmm that's my favourite!
    AKA Angie

Comment

I'm confused now cos I was doing the same as zazen999
      AKA Angie

Comment

You could probably do either Selfraising...

Comment

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
          I'm confused now cos I was doing the same as zazen999

Naa dont be...

there are more than a few ways of doing the right thing.. separate a few and see how they develop in there own containers or in the ground well spaced apart.. people have different techniques, so thats what makes it all interesting, i am on a learning curve myself.

Comment

my young basil plants are really loving it under the lights. but the more bushier it gets and has lots of leaves on it it will need a more powerful light than my humble 35 watt light.. so i shall see, i may leave some at the windowsill and maybe one or two under the light...

keep ya all informed land lubbers

Comment

if anyone wishes to grow the "siam queen" seeds. please send a PM to me and i see what i can do.....
              Last edited by muslimgrower; 19-02-2009, 04:47 PM.

Comment

I'm farily sure that basil is a good rooter. If you nip out a big enough shoot and put it in water you'll get roots quite soon and then you've got another plant.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi muslimgrower
                  I grew Thai Basil last year, the aroma was something else. Also grew basil opal cos it had a lovely red leaf colour. It's one of my favourite herbs
                  AKA Angie

Comment

when the basil is flowering, you can pinch out the flower, before it really evolves in to a flower.. that will trick the plant into growing in vegetative growth ( more leafs) albeit it does slow the plant down a little..

when it flowers it stops leaf production and spends all its energy into making the seeds.... you can do the same thing with coriander...
                    Last edited by muslimgrower; 19-02-2009, 04:51 PM.

Comment

That's an idea Flummery. I might do some experiments!
                      AKA Angie

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                        I'm farily sure that basil is a good rooter. If you nip out a big enough shoot and put it in water you'll get roots quite soon and then you've got another plant.
                        i didnt know that

thank you.

Comment

Lovely plants Muslimgrower,I'm green with envy-never had much luck with basil-either I killed it or slugs had a fiesta overnight.Will keep on trying.

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                            I've done this with the supermarket sample. Works really well, last year everyone at work had basil lol even if they didn't like it. I still have the same supermarket plant growing on the kitchen window sill, its a bit woody at the base from all the cuttings but its still as good. Never grown from seed, but after seeing the results may give it ago.
                            http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

Hi Muslimgrower... I picked up some basil seeds from Lidl at the weekend. They don't have a latin name - just 'basil' and 'ocimum basilicum' ...mmmm, that looks Latin. Anyway I'm going to have a go - and, thanks to whoever it was for the tip about sowing just a few at a time, I will do just that. And when I learn how to post photos I will show my progress... OOOOOHHH I love it here, so much info!!! Haven't got started on my passionflower yet, those too will be grown from seed.

Comment

Thanks Muslimgrower, I've always said you can grow Basil all year round indoors, sorry, but got shot down in flames for it a few times when saying it on here. I grow a few different varieties but not the Thai variety you have growing, will pm you if u have any seeds left

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X