Poor Basil growth

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Basil growth

This year is adding up to be a monumental failure of all failures. Simple new pack of basil sown on the 2nd June and this is all I have to show for it. Why isn't it getting any bigger ? It is kept in the greenhouse with the toms. I may as well revert back to shop bought, taking a cutting and leaving in water to root which has been much more successful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230715_105413.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	359.9 KB
ID:	2565470

That seems about right for basil sown 6 or 7 weeks ago. It grows pretty slowly to start with, and then gets going once it reaches a certain size.
    That's why I stopped growing it from seed myself. Takes too long. Now I just buy one of those supermarket pots and the split the plants up and plant them into three or four larger pots. Much quicker results, and they grow strongly for most of the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
      That seems about right for basil sown 6 or 7 weeks ago. It grows pretty slowly to start with, and then gets going once it reaches a certain size.
      That's why I stopped growing it from seed myself. Takes too long. Now I just buy one of those supermarket pots and the split the plants up and plant them into three or four larger pots. Much quicker results, and they grow strongly for most of the summer.
      I shall resort back to that method next year. In the meantime I may as well take a cutting from this plant to get roots. It will probably grow quicker.

Comment

You could sow seeds earlier in March,same time as tomatoes & peppers,they do grow slowly. Seeds last a few years,you get a lot more basil per penny & you get more plants whenever you want to sow. Grow from seed they get a perfect start in life,do supermarkets spray their plants with pesticides to keep the leaves looking good I don’t know probably.

Comment

That plant has hardly grown a mm since I started this post. This surely isn't normal ?

Comment

You've probably had the plants in the same pot for too long. Compost only has enough nutrient for about 6 weeks of growth.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
              You've probably had the plants in the same pot for too long. Compost only has enough nutrient for about 6 weeks of growth.
              Do you think its too late to pot on ?

Comment

No, you should have plenty of time, especially as basil is compact enough that you can always bring the pot on if temperatures start dropping.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X