Parsley going downhill.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parsley going downhill.

Well, here I go again with another failed parsley. It started out very green and lush. Planted out last summer from a pot plant. The last month it has become sickly, yellowing with poor growth. Planted in deep soil In full sun (as advised previously in this forum) but it doesn't seem to work. I also have another in a deep pot going the same way so I just give up. I sowed seeds around the one in soukbut they never came up. Last resort isi have sown more in modules to transplant.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Marb67; 22-06-2022, 12:18 PM.

The potted parsley looks like it’s had the main growth cut away? Good luck with your new seedlings,I don’t plant into the beds,they get potted on into a ten inch pot,then I can put the pot in the shade of bigger pots on really hot days. I need to fertilise mine,they’ve been in the same little pots for more than a month.

Comment

You're doing better than me, Marb. As I understand it, parsley plants are biennials, so in theory two years but in practice two growing seasons in my experience in Spain. So if it had one growing season last summer then another this spring, that's its lot.

Did it flower (or try to)? Parsley dies quite quickly after flowering.

Comment

Mine is from one of those pots sold in supermarkets. The leaves are all yellow except the flower spike. It should self seed anyway.
        I have some self seeded under the runner beans that are doing much better in there first year.
        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

OK, perhaps I was expecting too much. I have seen parsley in other gardens, pretty neglected like a small shurub. It's just not fair
          😭I

Comment

Mine looks like it has been bleached by the sun.
            They appear to be greener if they are slightly shaded.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2438.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	2547916 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2439.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	2547917

Comment

Well, it has just got worse and very yellow. Another one bites the dust and all new seeds planted out have been a no show. Impossible to grow in my opinion.

Comment

Seeds can take 14 to 28 days to germinate so your new seeds might still show soon? Its not impossible you’ve grown it before

Comment

Mine have at least produced nice green flower stems. I am hoping they will produce some hardened off seed for next year.
                  Self seeded plants from last years crop are mostly coming up green.
                  All my original plants were hardened off on the reduced to clear shelves at local supermarkets.

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                    Seeds can take 14 to 28 days to germinate so your new seeds might still show soon? Its not impossible you’ve grown it before
                    They were sown in May so I doubt it very much. I have never seen any curly parsley I have sown in 20 odd years ever show a single green shoot. The last resort is a pre-impregnated paper disk I have placed in a pot. So far nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
                      Last resort isi have sown more in modules to transplant.
                      You said this on 22nd June?

Comment

Well I managed to get some germinated which is rare but after doing well in the windowsill in the cool end of the kitchen and now they are going downhill with thin, wispy pathetic growth. They have been outside also before this heatwave. It just seems I am not able to grow parsley without it popping its cloggs
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Marb67; 13-08-2022, 02:44 PM.

Comment

I had to plant two of those supermarket pots over two years.
                          I just left the seed heads standing over winter.
                          I have got several good plants with seed heads that will be allowed to stand over winter.
                          A couple of photos tomorrow.

Comment

I left my basil & parsley on my south facing windowsill & they went brown & shrivelled in the sun,they’re all mulch now for my courgette that’s doing better now with the extra covering. I should’ve moved them to the shady windowsill,it’s not usually this sunny tho they usually cope. It’s hot in all the rooms too,like the heatings been left on 30 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                              I left my basil & parsley on my south facing windowsill & they went brown & shrivelled in the sun,they’re all mulch now for my courgette that’s doing better now with the extra covering. I should’ve moved them to the shady windowsill,it’s not usually this sunny tho they usually cope. It’s hot in all the rooms too,like the heatings been left on 30 degrees.
                              Its horrible isn't it. Can't wait for it to get cooler tomorrow (in Cheshire at least) and its slightly less hot today.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X