No announcement yet.

Parsley going downhill.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My parsley is first generation self seeded from one of those supermarket pots.
    Only one or two plants took once they were separated.
    The best self seeded one is almost about to put up a flower in its first season.
    It sprouted very early next to my cucumber bed.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2607.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	436.6 KB
ID:	2550465
    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
      My parsley is first generation self seeded from one of those supermarket pots.
      Only one or two plants took once they were separated.
      The best self seeded one is almost about to put up a flower in its first season.
      It sprouted very early next to my cucumber bed.

Name:	IMG_2607.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	436.6 KB
ID:	2550465
      Parsley envy right there. Just can’t ever seem to get it right.

Comment

All I did was to let the seeds harden off on the seed head and when they were ready they fell to the ground and grew.
        I think the trick is to let the seeds set up there biological clocks in the open air locally to where you want to grow them and cultivate around any that come up where it is practical.

Comment

It is two weeks later and it yielded a carrier bag full and is back to that size again. I am going to leave it to flower and self seed.

Comment

I have sown flat leaf Parsley from different seed packets and non have come up. I really do not seem to get on with this herb.

Comment

The plant in post#16 is finally going down hill as far as green leaves go. It produced a large plastic crate full of leaves this spring and the remaining leaves have had all the green sucked out of them by the flowers. That is a total of two stuffed carrier bags last year and a the crate this spring.
              It looks like I will have plenty of seed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3760R.jpg Views:	0 Size:	392.5 KB ID:	2564837
              Last edited by Plot70; 03-07-2023, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Your plant has done well Plot. you'll have plenty of self-seeders growing next year.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

The trick appears to be to get a late self seeder to overwinter.
                  The plants from the supermarket pots only grow to six inches before going to seed and then one or two of the seeds grow very well in the following year.

Comment

Plot I’ve not had to sow parsley for a few years both curly and flat parsley self seeds nicely around the garden.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I had to get going from none and now I have got it going I should not need to buy any more pots.

Comment

Well, I spoke too soon as the seemingly healthy, green Parsley sown a few weeks ago is turning yellow.

Name:	IMG_20230802_105426.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	807.9 KB
ID:	2566445

Comment

They look grumpy most likely due to the roots hitting the bottom of the pots.
                          Try planting them in the ground.

Comment

You don't seem to have much luck with plants! Is it just seeds that fail, or shop bought items too?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X