Saffron crocus

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saffron crocus

I have made two plantings of saffron crocus which made a lovely harvest of saffron. However, I've not managed to get either planting to flower again. I've top-dressed with compost when the leaves have faded, but nothing else.
    Has anyone had any experience of this problem or knows what I'm doing wrong?
    All my other non-edible bulbs just pop back up.

Is this of any use https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-t...-grow-saffron/

Comment

That link basically covers what I did a few years ago - planted them, they flowered, I harvested with tweezers, loved it so much that I planted another lot as above. But I only got one harvest from each.

Comment

Is it not early yet, it says they are autumn flowering?

Comment

^Yes, that was my thought too, Burnie.

Also, one thing not mentioned in that article is that saffron crocus bulbs like very cold winters but more importantly, hot, dry summers. If you live somewhere with a lot of rainfall over summer, you need to plant them in very well draining soil.

Good luck.

Comment

It's on my to do list trying to grow some, I'm interested to hear from anyone who has tried and how they are getting on.

Comment

Yes, they’re autumn flowering - I’ve not got anything out of them last autumn. I’m not early, but late posting this!

Mine are planted in the dryest spot in my allotment, with gravel underneath to ensure good drainage.

Comment

Scarlet used to grow them very successfully, Burnie. I'm sure there will be a few threads on here already.

Sounds like you've done the right thing, RSF. Maybe check out previous threads that Scarlet contributed to to see if she did anything extra.

Comment

I was thinking of trying to grow them in clay pots, to maximise conditions, no idea if that is a good idea or not, I did see some growing when on holiday in Turkey over 20 years ago, the ground did look stony.

Comment

I'll give them this autumn, and if nothing happens, I'll dig them up and move them as they're clearly not happy!
                    Thanks all for your contributions.

Comment

Update: they are flowering! Just added a smidge of compost, and that was it.

Comment

Yay! Success. Congratulations.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X