Horseradish

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horseradish

I've picked up a horseradish root from neighbour and wondered about planting it - I understand it can be a bit invasive so was a bit unsure whether to put it into the allotment -(when I finally get to start digging/planting) - any advice?
    How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

I've planted mine in a large pot then put that in the ground. I can remove the whole pot and split the root for eating and replanting.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

After digging up whole arm sized chunks at the lottie yesterday; I'd say what Capsid suggests. It keeps it somewhat contained.

Comment

It has a deep root, so you need a big container. Cut the bottom off an old dustbin, ideally, and grow it in this, sunk in the ground. Full sun or partial shade.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Deffo a one to use guerilla gardening techniques with! Plant it in a local hedgerow when no-ones looking! To an innocent bystander its leaves resemble a dock leaf.

Just go and dig it up when you need it's root!

btw I haven't got round to trying this yet as mine is in a large pot at allotment ........but when I get around to it, that's what I intend doing.
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

When is it ready for digging up? I planted my roots back in March, and the leaves are fairly big now, but I wasn't sure if you let the leaves die down before digging the root up.

Comment

Can anyone tell me where to buy horseradis root from ? TIA

Comment

Originally posted by Chillimad View Post
                Can anyone tell me where to buy horseradis root from ? TIA
                Wilkos sell them, but I have also seen them in garden centres alongside asparagus and rhubarb. They are sold in bags.
                Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
                  Wilkos sell them, but I have also seen them in garden centres alongside asparagus and rhubarb. They are sold in bags.

Thanks Capsid,, will have to look harder then

Comment

oh dear, i planted mine in all innocence on the plot, looks fairly benign at the moment, how soon before it starts a coup to take over?

Comment

Hi Chilimad

I've got some on my plot; if you want any just PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by mythyme View Post
                        oh dear, i planted mine in all innocence on the plot, looks fairly benign at the moment, how soon before it starts a coup to take over?
                        You are probably too late,it really does only need the tiniest bit left in the ground to propogate again.Tastes great so it's not a problem as far as I'm concerned though.
                        I think I saw the hedgerow method in Derbyshire,bit naughty,I'm not sure of it's origins,not native is it?
                        Last edited by burnie; 02-07-2008, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                          I think I saw the hedgerow method in Derbyshire,bit naughty,I'm not sure of it's origins,not native is it?
                          That was definitely not me!!!

In all seriousness - we dug all ours up and a week later - it was back again. And again. And last night I dug more up.

Guess I'm gonna have to just love it's perky greenness grinning at me every week.

Comment

I think I am right in saying....

that horseradish takes two years before it can be used.

Does anyone have a good recipe for horseradish sauce, and any other recipes horseradish can be used for.

Thank you.

kwa50
                            CraftChallenge.co.uk - Home

Comment

Originally posted by kwa50 View Post
                              that horseradish takes two years before it can be used.
                              From when?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X