Aphids on parsley

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aphids on parsley

I am collecting a rather large community of aphids on my parsley plants, despite random spraying with an organic bug killer (Growing Success Veg and Plant Bug Killer). I held the pots upside down and gave the plants a good soaking with it in the evening at least three times over the past couple of weeks. Even if it's organic, I still don't like the idea of spraying too much mystery liquids all over something I will soon consume (if the aphids don't get to it first). Anyone have any suggestions of what works for them?

Where are you keeping your parsley plants? I've never had any problems with aphids on parsley grown outdoors, either in pots or in open ground.

Comment

my parsley is outside in a plastic greenhouse with ventilation...and seems fine...growing well and no bugs at all, the pots were on the windowsill prior to that! is there anything else that you are growing around the parsley, another plant, that might attract the aphids?
      "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen11ian View Post
        Anyone have any suggestions of what works for them?
        Squish them with your fingers. It's not pleasant, but I prefer it to spraying, which costs money

You could also try and attract predators (ladybirds, hoverflies) with something like Limnanthes.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

For Aphids, why not make up a spray that you know the ingredients are safe.
          Try this, into 500 ml of water add 1 tsp eucalyptus oil, 1/2 tsp dishwashing liquid
          give a good stir and then spray your plant.
          I love growing tomatoes.

Comment

Give the plants a feed too- the aphids will be draining it of nutrients.
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Aphids seem to overwinter on our parsley, too.

Then they pass on to the strawberries!

To deal with them organically you need to take your time and go over the plants carefully, either squishing or spraying. The soap/ oil mixture needs to actually touch the aphids and you will need to do it every week until things improve. If there are ants around - which guard the aphids in order to harvest their sweet excretions - it's much harder to keep things under control. As Nicos says, you need to feed the plants too to help them keep going.

Be persistent - that's the best advice I can give.

Comment

For Aphids, why not make up a spray that you know the ingredients are safe.
                Try this, into 500 ml of water add 1 tsp eucalyptus oil, 1/2 tsp dishwashing liquid
                give a good stir and then spray your plant.
                I understand what you are trying to say, but you are not actually supposed to consume dishwashing liquid and eucalyptus oil either!! I am sometimes happier with an (organic) spray that has been tested rather than experimenting on myself

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions. The parsley is in several pots on my patio in a sheltered shaded position (it's the only area I have outside the flat). It's green, healthy, and growing well.. but some bits are yellowing in the lower area of the plant. No ants around either, so I won't have to deal with that.
                  Sounds like I'll just have to go on a major attack and squish as many as I can before doing lots of spraying. I'm noticing some on my lettuce now.. so I need prevent them going any further.

Comment

do you have some flowers around? I noticed that aphids like better everything that smell sweet!
                    I had the same problem last year, but as soon as I put my pot close to the sweet peas, they vanished! Either they went away, or they have been eaten by something lurking in the flowers...

Comment

If you get your hose to a fine but strong spray a simple jet of water is enough to kill most aphids. I take the rose off the end of my hose and just put my thumb over it so it's strong enough to wash off (and kill) the aphids but not so strong it makes holes in the leaves.

If that doesn't work, try getting some lacewing larvae for your greenhouse. They consume hundred of the blighters every day and will hopefully breed and give you a lacewing army in your garden year after year.

If you google 'lacewing larvae' there are a few people who sell them. I think it's around £15 for 500 but that might mean you never have to worry about aphids again 'cos nature's doing the hard work for you.

Comment

Go inside and rinse your parsley under the cold water tap then make sure all the greenfly are gone. Put you parsley in the garden. Its a hardy little plant will taste better and fend for itself if you do that. I never spray herbs.

Comment

i had the same problem last year with my parsley in the porch. Blighters attacked two lots of parsley, basil, aubergine, even chives!!! Hate them!!! I tried everything, water, organic sprays (even tried squishing them- but not enough hours in the day), washing up liquid foam. Thought id got rid of them...then they began again early this year, so chucked the parsley out in the snow.....even that didnt kill em...or the parsley, suprisingly! So its sat outside in isolation on the window sill until i decide what to do with it or the new parsley im growing gets big enough!
                          I have no idea what im doin!

Comment

ok- so ive gone n jynxed myself. Got the little blighters all over my blaccurrent bush- totally furious.
                            Can you release lacewing larvae outside...will they hang around n do thier job???
                            I have no idea what im doin!

Comment

If there's food (ie aphids) they'll hang around!
                              Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X