Mint

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mint

Is there a certain mint to buy or a special favorite one which is very easy to grow and can be used for a cooking and is it the same mint that you use in the jars you buy from the supermarkets
    thanks loux

it really depends what you are looking for, there are too many types of mint to list, i personally grow three types, spearmint, lemon mint and chocolate mint but these are because i like the smell/flavour of them. one word of caution is not to plant them directly in the ground, they are very vigourous and will spread with gusto. keep them in containers to keep them under control
    Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
    Bob Dylan

Comment

thankyou kernowyon i have written them down i will go and price them up tomorrow
      loux

Comment

can you cook with the chocolate one i have never heard of chocolate mint
        loux

Comment

Just be careful if you grow it in the ground as I did last year and it spead like a weed!

Steven
          http://www.geocities.com/nerobot/Bir...shingThumb.jpg

Comment

thankyou steven i will
            loux

Comment

we use the mint for ice creams etc, just freeze whole leaves and sprinkle them on ice cream. if you want to make sauces and minted peas etc i suppose that normal garden mint is the best for this (stronger flavour) as for the other types, just see which ones grab your attention.
              Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
              Bob Dylan

Comment

I can recommend morrocan mint - I grow that with pineapple mint which is a slightly variagated one. Both lovely.
                ~
                Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

thankyou for that i will look out for these when i go to the garden centre
                  loux

Comment

I grow Black Peppermint - Welcome to Jekka's Herb Farm | Black Peppermint | Mentha x piperita black peppermint its got that real strong proper minty smell, not like spearmint which is bleughck.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I was given a spearmint last year by my mum which grew rampantly in its pot, however towards the end of the year it grew really leggy so i hacked it right down to ground level and it doesn't seem to have made any kind of recovery. Have i murdered it?

p.s sorry to hijack the thread
                      Jane,
                      keen but (slightly less) clueless
                      http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X