No announcement yet.

Uses for mint

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck a few springs in a basin of warm water, prize of yer wellies and soak your aching feet, just the job after a day on the plot!
    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

[Recipe courtesy of Good Housekeeping cookery book, which also offers recipes for:

carrots with mint and lemon
      mint and apple jelly
      mint and rosemary stuffing
      minted pear vinaigrette
      potted cheese with mint

Just ask if you want me to type any of the above recipes folks.

I would suggest making the mint sauce in larger batches if your family enjoys a decent dollop of mint sauce with their roast lamb.[/QUOTE]

I would like it if you typed the mint and apple jelly my mother used to make mint jelly years ago and it brings back memories would love to taste again
      jacob
      What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
      Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

My mum in law hates mint sauce but loves mint jelly - apart from the consistency, what's the difference (and is this dumb question of the day>?!)
        Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

When we're having curry I add a few mint leaves into a dish with some chopped cucumber and home made yoghurt.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Carrots with mint and lemon - sounds yum!

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
            I love mint sauce on steamed white cabbage - lifts the flavour and makes it scrummy!

Recipe courtesy of Good Housekeeping cookery book, which also offers recipes for:

carrots with mint and lemon
            mint and apple jelly
            mint and rosemary stuffing
            minted pear vinaigrette
            potted cheese with mint

Just ask if you want me to type any of the above recipes folks.
            Could I have the recipe for carrots with mint and lemon, please? Actually, mint and rosemary stuffing sounds quite nice too...

Caroline

Comment

Lots of ideas - thanks folks! I'm going to put together a document of them over the weekend, print them out and stick them up next to my cooker to try. First job is to buy some lamb ... :-)

Caroline

Comment

Mint and Apple Jelly

2.3kg (5lbs) cooking apples, washed and chopped
                1.1litres (2 pints) water
                few fresh mint sprigs
                1.1litres (2pints) distilled vinegar
                sugar
                90-120ml (6-8tbsp) chopped fresh mint
                few drops of green food colouring

1. Place the apples in a large saucepan with the water and mint sprigs. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for about 45 minutes, until soft and pulpy. Stir from time to time to prevent sticking. Add the vinegar and boil for a further 5 minutes.
                2. Spoon the apple pulp into a jelly bag or cloth attached to the legs of an upturned stool, and leave to strain into a large bowl for at least 12 hours.
                3. Discard the pulp remaining in the jelly bag. Measure the juice extract and put it in a preserving pan with 450g (1lb) sugar for each 600ml (1pint) extract. Heat gently, stirring, until the sugar has completely dissolved, then bring to the boil and boil rapidly for about 10 minutes.
                4. Test for a set and, when setting point is reached, take the pan off the heat and remove any scum with a slotted spoon.
                5. Stir in the mint and add a few drops of green food colouring. Allow to cool slightly, then stir well to distribute the mint.
                6. Pot and cover.

Variations - Herb jellies:
                Other fresh herbs, such as rosemary, parsley, sage, tarragon and thyme, can be used in place of the mint sprigs.

From Good Housekeeping cookery book.
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

Carrots with mint and lemon

700g (1 1/2lb) small new carrots, trimmed and scrubbed
                  salt and pepper
                  finely grated rind and juice of 1/2 lemon
                  5ml (1tsp) light soft brown sugar
                  15g (1/2oz) butter
                  30ml (2tbsp) chopped fresh mint
                  lemon slices, to garnish

1. Cook the carrots in boiling salted water for about 10 minutes, until just tender. Drain thoroughly.
                  2. Return the carrots to the pan with the remaining ingredients and toss together over a high heat until the butter melts. Serve at once, garnished with lemon slices.
                  Serves 4

from Good Housekeeping cookery book
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

Mint and Rosemary Stuffing

75g (3oz) butter or margarine
                    2 medium onions, skinned and finely chopped
                    2 celery sticks, trimmed and finely chopped
                    225g (8oz) fresh breadcrumbs
                    30ml (2 level tbsp) mint sauce
                    15ml (1tbsp) chopped fresh rosemary or 10ml (2 level tsp) dried rosemary
                    grated rind of 1 lemon
                    salt and pepper
                    1 egg, beaten

1. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onions and celery and fry gently for about 10 minutes.
                    2. Put the breadcrumbs, mint sauce, rosemary and lemon rind in a bowl. Stir in the celery and onion and season. Mix well together, then bind with the beaten egg.
                    Sufficient for a 4.5-5.4kg (10-12lb) oven ready turkey.

recipe from Good Housekeeping cookery book
                    Happy Gardening,
                    Shirley

Comment

CarolineW, If you really do have lots of mint and you are now sick to death of mint recipes... i've heard that worms love fresh mint cuttings and they would probably do well as a mulch around most of your veg to try and keep the little nasty's such as whitefly off your crops.
                      If Bindweed was edible i'd be a multi millionaire with a chain of restaurants selling the stuff with the amount I have on my plot.

Comment

Originally posted by moggssue View Post
                        My mum in law hates mint sauce but loves mint jelly - apart from the consistency, what's the difference (and is this dumb question of the day>?!)
                        Sorry, just spotted the question! Mint sauce has vinegar in it while the jelly is sweeter and has no vinegar. I suspect that would be the basis of her preference. Does she like other pickled stuff?
                        Happy Gardening,
                        Shirley

Comment

Actually, Nudger, I love getting all these recipes. But good to know the other tips for mint too! Thanks

Caroline

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X