Uses for mint

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uses for mint

Hi, I hope I haven't chosen the wrong forum for this? I grow mint in my garden, but so far I've only ever used it to make mint tea (very nice). I see comments here and there in gardening magazines, etc, about how the gardener wouldn't know what to do in the kitchen without mint. Which has got me wondering, because to be honest, other than tea, I wouldn't know what to do with it in the kitchen

Does anyone have tips or ideas on what to do with it / how to use it?

Thanks!
    Caroline

Find a recipe for Tabouleh - a middle eastern salad dish based on bulgar whear (or couscous). Delicious!

One possible recipe is here

KK

Comment

Well I expect to be in a minority of one but I can't stand mint. I feel it spoils new potatoes, don't like mint sauce. Not even keen on it in toothpaste!
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

As well as using mint sauce on new tatties and roast lamb I also use it on any fatty meat as it helps with digestion! Haven't tried it on a bacon buttie yet though!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I love mint sauce on steamed white cabbage - lifts the flavour and makes it scrummy!

To make your own mint sauce, take a bunch of mint, remove stalks and wash it, chop it finely and place in a suitable dish with 2 level teaspoons of caster sugar. Stir in 1 tablespoon of boiling water and leave for about 5 minutes for the sugar to dissolve. Add 1-2 tablespoons of wine vinegar (malt will suffice), stir and leave for about an hour before serving.

Recipe courtesy of Good Housekeeping cookery book, which also offers recipes for:

carrots with mint and lemon
          mint and apple jelly
          mint and rosemary stuffing
          minted pear vinaigrette
          potted cheese with mint

Just ask if you want me to type any of the above recipes folks.

I would suggest making the mint sauce in larger batches if your family enjoys a decent dollop of mint sauce with their roast lamb.
          Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 09-10-2007, 07:13 PM.
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

Few sprigs of mint chucked into new potatoes towards the end of cooking time really brings out the flavour of the spuds. Mint is also supposed to deter flies, so if you put a few stems in a jar of water in the kitchen it may help get rid of flies (I haven't found it effective, but you can only try). Fresh mint leaves go really well chopped on top of strawberries and cream. Try making your own mint sauce to go with lamb dishes. Basic recipe = chopped mint leaves, sugar and vinegar, quantities to suit your own taste

Comment

I HATE mint!
              But I still grow it, why?
              Because it's so willing, I think.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I think more to the point, is there anything that mint WON'T go with. My two favs are lamb and mint and fresh peas and mint... now I'm feeling hungry!
                I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
                  I think more to the point, is there anything that mint WON'T go with. My two favs are lamb and mint and fresh peas and mint... now I'm feeling hungry!
                  I love mint too but always forget to throw it in with the veg. Possibly this is due to my trying to grow the stuff for years with no success. However, this year I have managed to keep alive an ordinary mint and a chocolate one - both have rooted shoots and I must get round to taking cuttings and setting them up on the kitchen windowsill for flavouring Christmas dinner.
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

Shirlthegirl43, I sowed mint in pots last year,the top growth dies off in the winter but come spring, it started to regrow in most pots. I planted the contents of the pots out early this summer and now I've got mint everywhere in the garden. I was told that even if you think that mint is dead, it isn't. Mint and chives...indestructable!
                    I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      I HATE mint!
                      But I still grow it, why?
                      Because it's so willing, I think.
                      Minority of two then!
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

The only way I like mint is mint sauce - roast lamb just wouldn't be roast lamb without it. But any other way, not for me despite having a pot full of the stuff!! Whats chocolate mint, does it taste like chocolate....?!?!?!
                        Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Originally posted by moggssue View Post
                          The only way I like mint is mint sauce - roast lamb just wouldn't be roast lamb without it. But any other way, not for me despite having a pot full of the stuff!! Whats chocolate mint, does it taste like chocolate....?!?!?!
                          smells like it, would offer to taste some but have such a bad cold i couldn't taste chilli!!
                          Happy Gardening,
                          Shirley

Comment

Sorry you're not well Shirl, hope you get over it very soon and meanwhile get lots of tlc!! Think I might have to experiment with choc mint next year ... !!
                            Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Thanks for the good wishes.
                              Happy Gardening,
                              Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X