Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 types of flowers for a long tom pot - advice needed

Hi,

I know pretty well nothing about flowers - or maybe even less - but I'd like to grow some flowers with my 10 year old daughter this year that would fill a few terracotta long tom pots.

I'm thinking two or three tulips as the tallest flower type at the back but I'm looking for suggestions as to what other flower types might go well with that. Something that doesn't grow as tall perhaps - but that would flower at the same time.

And something I can grow from seed - I have my polytunnel I can use to bring them on early if needed.

All suggestions welcome.

Many thanks
    Last edited by Bacchus; 11-02-2018, 08:22 PM.

I dont know what you mean by long tom pots, but if you are going to use tulips which generally are grown from bulbs, (growing from seed takes several years to flower) go to a garden center or shops like Wilko now and see if they are selling of their spring bulbs, you can check the general height of the bulbs on the packaging, planting bulbs at this time of year you generally get them flowering at the same time, if you wish to grow from seed I would recommend growing annuals, again read the package for height and flowering time, if you would like to grow one type of flower which your daughter could cut try bedding dahlias, and they are easy to grow from seed. Another good flower from seed is the pot marigold, they are annuals and various colours and hights
    Last edited by rary; 11-02-2018, 08:37 PM.
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I would go for just annuals, leave the tulips to their own pots. It obviously depends on the width of your pot but cerinthe and gyp will grow outside with a little shelter, sown mid march and give a fab display many other annuals can be sown this way. As for 3, my favourite pot I ever planted was a central rudbeckia, cosmos and gyp. All sown under cover then planted and grown on before taking pride of place lots of watering and feeding but stunning good luck

Comment

Tulips are normally planted in ?Nov/Dec to flower the following spring. You're a bit late for this year.

Comment

Just a thought, I would weight down a pot like that. If it's how I imagine it's tall, narrow at the bottom and tapering up? If so plenty of crocks in the bottom to weigh it down obviously somewhere sheltered ��

Comment

French marigolds are quite short,good for pots,geraniums & petunias all go nicely with them & all easy from seed except petunia seeds are very tiny like dust it’s like you haven’t sowed anything so they’re quite funny,here’s a photo of French marigolds & petunia,the geranium hasn’t flowered but the leaves are nice & big,it’s nice having an assortment of leaf shapes as well as flowers
            Click image for larger version

Name:	C1ADCE5F-248C-47EE-A5F9-1F887E635A01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	2376468

Comment

Thanks for all the helpful replies I should have said I've a lot of tulip bulbs planted already. I was trying to create something that gives a nice display but want to use seed or bulbs to keep the cost down.

I was thinking of cosmos, marigolds, and pansies or lavender., but thanks for those other suggestions. . I'll do some googling.

It is quite a tall narrow pot so yes, I'll need to be careful about it being top heavy. I have 12 pots to play with.

Thanks again.
              Last edited by Bacchus; 11-02-2018, 09:13 PM.

Comment

My ten year old twins love sunflowers, you can get dwarf ones so suitable for a pot. I find that growing with the kids is all about the sowing, getting mucky, watering, getting mucky and wet ( bonus ) then planting and watching them grow.
                If you want flowers go for annuals ( hardy ones can be sown outside in march/ April.
                Dahlias are indeed so easy, big seeds for little fingers so are cosmos.
                hope this helps

Comment

I would plant anything that you can cut and put in a vase as she will love being able to do that as well as grow them. Rudbeckia sounds good. Why not try sweat Peas. Sunflowers especially bush ones for quantity but do high ones for novelty. Marigolds are easy. Pansys too.

Kind Regards.......Rob

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    Tulips are normally planted in ?Nov/Dec to flower the following spring. You're a bit late for this year.
                    I hope not I have just planted mine
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Don't go for tall-growing flowers in a tall pot - the slightest breeze and they will topple and possibly smash. I'd probably go for something that will trail a bit, so if the pot does blow over the trailing plants will cushion the blow! Trailing lobelia may be common but it's popular for a reason - it looks good for a long period and it's easy. I'd go for that.

Comment

My flower seeds arrived today. I may have over indulged Click image for larger version

Name:	20180215_175752-756x1008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	2376486

Comment

How many pots did you say you had!!

Comment

I don't know precisely what a long tom pot looks like, but if you have the space, how about a trailing nasturtium for dangling down the front of the pot and something like a black-eyed Susan growing up a trellis at the back?

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                              I don't know precisely what a long tom pot looks like, but if you have the space, how about a trailing nasturtium for dangling down the front of the pot and something like a black-eyed Susan growing up a trellis at the back?
                              That's interesting - I do like the idea of something trailing down the front. Thanks for that. I'll take a picture of the pots when I'm at home and it's daylight.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X