Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I took a cutting of a rose I was pruning for my sister in March 2018, and I got one flower last year. This year it is growing away, and I hope to get lots more.
    Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

• Originally posted by burnie View Post

Yes it is, once fully open the weight does pull them over a bit as you can see.
      On the advice of Burnie and Porcupine I ordered a Munstead Wood this winter. A healthy looking plant, still little, but buds now showing.

Comment

• Gorgeous! My Munstead is also going great guns (despite the rain and wind lately- where is the sun?). The blooms are so huge and velvety.

But my new star this year is Desdemona. I was unsure about white roses (too anemic?) but this one is surberb: loads of flowers and scent. The complete opposite of Munstead in colouring but a star like it nonetheless. Smaller but lovely shape to the flowers, too.

What is the orangey one Burnie? Looks luscious

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	BED0F312-07A8-49E2-8179-F14C91D62722.jpeg
Views:	320
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2532804 Hi All.
          my wife received a rose as a 70th birthday pressie. At first it flourished, but now it looks rather sickly.
          Don’t know if it’s feeding or fungus problems, but can anyone suggest a cure please?
          Pete

Comment

• Black spots really common on roses,have you got some rose fertiliser,feed twice a year? Pick up fallen leaves to help against blackspot too,underplanting is said to help but it’s really prickly planting in a pot next to a rose. I’d remove the yellow leaves with spots.

Comment

• Originally posted by goodolpete View Post
              Click image for larger version  Name:	BED0F312-07A8-49E2-8179-F14C91D62722.jpeg Views:	12 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	2532804 Hi All.
              my wife received a rose as a 70th birthday pressie. At first it flourished, but now it looks rather sickly.
              Don’t know if it’s feeding or fungus problems, but can anyone suggest a cure please?
              Pete

I looked up the David Austen website last winter to see how to do best by my roses. The head gardener there has a very informative YouTube film on pruning. What he said was a bit of a revelation to me - the most important thing you can do for your rose is to prune it, which includes removing ALL foliage from the plant in spring, to reduce black spot incidence. https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/b...ish-shrub-rose He's talking about English roses, but I think it will apply to all roses.

The stronger and fitter your rose is, the better placed it will be to fight off disease, so a regular feeding programme can't go wrong.  However I think there are some roses that are so prone to black spot that you need to spray with fungicide.  If this rose is special to you it may be worth it.

Comment

• My father grew and bred Rose's for many years.
                As regards pruning, late autumn or early spring, I usually do it end of October.
                Prune to let your branch grow outwards
                My father pruned right down to the third bud growing outwards.
                Black spot on leaves, pick up,all infected leave from the ground.
                Spray wth crushed garlic in water.
                Some varieties are more susceptible than others.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• my 3 roses.Blush Noisette, Ferdinand Pichard and Port Sunlight
                  ntg
                  Never be afraid to try something new.
                  Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                  A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                  ==================================================

Comment

• Gorgeous. You might think about posting photos in the Vine flowers show.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                      Gorgeous. You might think about posting photos in the Vine flowers show.
                      Agreed!…and anyone else please - it’s always lovely to see entries for flowers- even if you don’t think you’ll win!
                      Remember …as many entries as you want this year
                      on or off the plant too

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ion-of-flowers

Classes close this coming Thursday!
                      Last edited by Nicos; 26-09-2021, 08:40 AM.
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• I have never grown roses and only have one in my front garden - it is a dwarf one, but don’t know anything else as was a present. Anyway given I have a cottage style front garden am thinking I should look at getting another rose. It is west facing, full sun. I’d need it to be pretty small - less then a metre and thinking white or pale cream. Anyone got any suggestions?

Comment

• Sorry Annie, all my roses are climbers apart from Munstead Wood, which is deep crimson. It's not a big rose, beautiful perfume, if you could change your colour scheme I'd recommend it as a good do-er.

Comment

• The David Austin websites good,this is the shortest white/cream shrub 60cm tall ‘little white pet’ says out of stock till June 2022 they might have stock soon then
                            https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/p...ttle-white-pet

Comment

• Whilst everything in the garden is wilting under the heat, our Roses are a picture, speaking of which, maybe I should take some.

Comment

• You've seen them all before......................
                                High summer by tigerburnie, on Flickr

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X