No announcement yet.

Flower of the Month and the Runners-up

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And more..anyone know what the pink shrub is?
    Attached Files

Comment

Is it a honeysuckle?
      sigpic

Comment

Nope - those pink things look like an elongated bell, that hang in clusters.
        I did know the name once......and it's driving me nuts that I've forgotten
        Last edited by Scarlet; 21-05-2015, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Scarlet, I don't know that pink shrub, but after a quick g00gle could it be one of the lilacs, e.g. https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/85422/...licent/Details
          My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
          Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

That's it! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Jay22 View Post
              What is the flower in the second from left photo in first post Scarlet? Is it some sort of Clematis? Love to see Stan getting a sneaky look in too!
              It's an aquilegia - William Guinness. They were grown from seed several years ago and they don't seem to cross like the other varieties as every year it grows true to type. I'll try to save seed this year and perhaps you can try some?

Comment

Lovely flowers, Scarlet. And some I don't know.
                What is picture 4 in post 58 and picture 1 in post 59?
                Last edited by mothhawk; 21-05-2015, 07:23 PM.
                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                Endless wonder.

Comment

I forget what the white one is called. The yellow one is Luteum and is coming to the end of its flowering, hence not many flowers left, a couple of weeks ago it was all flower. But still pretty.

The magenta one is madame van hecke and is my favourite plant. It has been sulking for the last two years and not flowered. I finally moved it about a month ago and had money on it dying. Instead it budded up within days and is obviously a lot happier! Next year it will have a lot more flowers, but I am still impressed.

I don't know what the red and white one is called. It reminds me of raspberry ripple ice cream.

p.s. sorry about the orientation of the photos. They are upright on my machine, but end up the wrong way up when I upload. I don't know how to fix it.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Snow; 21-05-2015, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                    Lovely flowers, Scarlet. And some I don't know.
                    Pick 4- post 58, looks very different close up it's choisya aztec pearl- Mexican orange blossom. You would probably recognise it as a large shrub.
                    Pic 1 -post 59, I know it as monks hood, it's very poisonous (or so I'm told!) Aconitum Napellus

Comment

Lovely Rhodies, Snow. I wish I had suitable soil so I could grow some here!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
                        Lovely Rhodies, Snow. I wish I had suitable soil so I could grow some here!
                        Thanks. My local soil is limestone but I dug it out on one side of the garden path and replaced it with ericaceous compost. I have to move some around this year as some are crowding others out! On the whole they seem very happy and I find they are very maintenance free, generally.

Comment

My runners-up for May are aquilegia and bluebells, but the winner has to be the simple Welsh poppies. These have always steadfastly refused to grow in my flowerbeds, but pop up in-between paving, cracks in steps, beside drains, gutters etc etc. They're too nice to pull out, so I just leave them to it.
                          Attached Files

Comment

My flower of the month for June is Iris Germanica 'Tuxedo'. First time it has flowered for several years. Followed by Oriental poppy, Alium Christophii and Incavelia, cheapo from L..l
                            Attached Files
                            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Beautiful Roitelet...loving those poppies. You've inspired me, I'm off out to take some pics

Comment

There's lots of choice this month, but the flower of the month for June has to be a rose. My own favourite is this white one, "Rambling Rector", which takes over my fence and shed with a spectacular display every June. It's an old variety and doesn't repeat flower, but this one show makes it worth it.

My runners-up are these Sweet Williams, just now coming into flower.

Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X