Crown Imperial

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crown Imperial

This spring was my first time growing crown imperials - and they are indeed a magnificent sight in full bloom in late spring. My question is - now the flowers are fading should I cut the whole flower head off and is it true to say that the rule is with any flower to dead heat with any plant [unless of course you want to collect the seed. Thanks.

if a plant is a repeat flowerer, eg a rose or a sweet pea, then yes deadheading will encourage more blooms. If a plant only has the one flower, eg daffodil, then deadheading won't produce any more flowers, but it is said to encourage the plant to put its energy into fattening the bulb up, instead of trying to produce seed
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I agree, also a lot of dead flowers is not particularly a pleasant sight.
      photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

okay thanks for that advice/info. Specifically talking about the crown imperial flower head would you advise removing it now the flowers are finished bearing in mind the flower head of a crown imperial includes a 'crown' of leaves??

Comment

Yes, remove the dead flowers and let the rest die back naturally. Keep an eye out for LILY BEETLE, they are rare fond of Crown Imperial.
          Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I Google'd "dead-head crown imperials" and got a link to Death and funeral of Otto von Habsburg!!
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X