No announcement yet.

Sunflowers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the kids and I grow them every year - love em. they do best in our kitchen garden, where I put them in the stony bit right next to the wall - it gets lovely and hot, and I guess they are 8 or 9 foot by the end... we always do ours in loo roll middles first, and chuck em in the ground when they are a reasonable size.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewo
      Make sure it's not your best tarp as you may want to get married on that some day
      Ehh?? Lost me on that one.... what's tarp (apart from mis-spelt tap)?

Sorry, I meant, you know when you buy sunflower seeds from the shops and they have their shells removed already, anyone know a quicker way to do it than one by one splitting the shells?

Sorry.... my usual trick of losing everyone when I ask a question!
      Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Shortie
        Tarp is short for Tarpaulin - large cover used to cover trailers, benches, garden furniture etc. Not sure why anyone would get married on one though.
        Not sure either what you mean by splitting the shells to get the seeds out. If you mean the black & white stripey bit - you don't ! You plant them like that and they grow (most of the time)
        Rat

British by birth
        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I know what you mean. You want to eat them, but not the black and white shell. Sorry no idea of best way to do it.
          I'm also lost on the tarpaulin wedding.

Comment

They eat loads of salted sunflower seeds in Israel. They are cooked in their black and white shells. To watch a local eating them is probably watching the quickest way of de-shelling them as they have had years of practise!!!! What they do is crack them lenghways between their front teeth, then suck at the whole lot in the mouth whilst manouvering the shell off with the tongue. The shell is then discreatly (or not) spat out.
            I wouldn't recommend this process if you intend to cook with them though!!!!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Blossom, you're on my wavelength (sorry, I don't know if that's a good things or not!
              Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Sorry the tarp joke is from the Simpsons, when Marge begs Homer not to spill naything on the good tarp as she wants Lisa to get married on it someday.
                Best wishes
                Andrewo
                Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X