Delphiniums

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delphiniums

I've just found a packet of delphinium seeds I bought in the sales at the back end of last year. It says they take a long time to germinate, so have I left it too late to grow them this year?

I thought about trying to speed up germination by putting them in the propagator on top of the tropical fish tank (this is how I get super fast germination of my corgettes) but have they got enough time to get going???
    Wife, mother, reader, writer, digger so much to do so little time to do it! Follow me on Twitter @digdigdigging

According to the seed catalogue sow in April at 20c and they should flower in August.
    [

Comment

Fantastic,

my seed packet says sow in late winter to early spring and can take 3-4 months to germinate.

I like your suggestion better, thanks
      Wife, mother, reader, writer, digger so much to do so little time to do it! Follow me on Twitter @digdigdigging

Comment

You can sow delphiniums twice a year, early spring (April) and late on from Autumn (Sept), the latter needs to be done undercover but I always start mine out underglass.
        Best wishes
        Andrewo
        Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Hello Elmo, I have grown Delphiniums from seed and never had a problem with germination. They germinated on north facing windowsill in 2 or 3 days same as everything else. But be warned. Slugs just love them.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Slugs are the main trouble but usually only in spring when the new foilage starts to break through. You can try really sharp grit or eggshells or I suppose beer traps but usually most people resort to slug pellets.
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

I have nematodes on order for this year so it will be all out war on slugs. I will be sowing some delphiniums in the next week or two. I have the seed in the fridge chilling to encourage them to sprout when I do sow them.
              Jax
              Last edited by Jaxom; 25-03-2006, 03:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Be interested to know how they go Jax. I know they aren't cheap but I think it's a better way than Pellets.

I was given something called Sluggit and the persone said it was great, but when you read the bottle it says NOT TO BE USED ON VEGETABLES So it stayed in the shed !
                ntg

Comment

You can now get organic pellets, safe for the environment and animals:
                  http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalo...oducts_id=1821
                  Cheaper than nematodes, but I too would be interested if they work as I know they are a long term investment. Slugs love delphiniums and the only way you will stop them is to go out at night with a torch and pick them off, unfortunately don't have any chickens to feed them to. Could set up a slug farm except they give me the willies.
                  Best wishes
                  Andrewo

Comment

I will keep you all posted on the nematode front.

Comment

I know that farmer use these now on the potato crops. using a sprayer on a quad bike ! It would be good if they do work, I might be tampted to use them up the lottie.
                      ntg

Comment

Noted today that my delphiniums are now coming back! They are under netting and it has created a mini climate of warmth.
                        Best wishes
                        Andrewo

Comment

It's amazing what a differnece a couple of nice days has made. Loads of stuff is starting to move now.
                          ntg

Comment

Daffodils are coming on fast here, and alot of plants I didn't notice before are waking up and going for it big time!
                            Best wishes
                            Andrewo

Comment

We've got pots of Dwarf Daffs & Narsissi that are almost open now. I knew things were on the move when I saw the shoots on the stwitch I dug up last week
                              ntg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X