Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for a flowering shrub please!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alex-adam View Post
    Lecesteria Formosa

Nice bright green leaves in summer, followed by white / red flowers and bracts, then the berry-like seed which attract blackbirds and bullfinches in our garden.
    It will grow in almost any conditions, doesn't mind sun or shade. - Here is ours, picture taken last spring and the flower bract pictured in late summer

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33336[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33337[/ATTACH]

Web link: Leycesteria formosa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

a-a
    Woo hoo. Just ID'd the shrub in my garden. Thanks aa.

Its really nice shrub and requires not much care. For the last 2 years its continually thrown up new stalks after a harsh pruning. It does benefit from support of growing against the house wall though, which is east facing.
    Last edited by Paulieb; 20-01-2013, 10:13 AM.
    The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
    William M. Davies

Comment

Beware of it as it spreads rapidly - possibly through the birds dropping the seeds. I thought it was pretty - once. Now its everywhere

Comment

Yup, we had one in the front garden, but now in the back we've about 30 odd young bushes of it. Think it's called commonly Pheasant Berry, or Himalayan Honeysuckle - though haven't read the link above!

Comment

Blimey!!!!!!!
          Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          thanks jess - i don't know that shrub at all! It gets mixed messages on pfaf calycanthus occidentalis californian allspice pfaf plant database the bark is a substitute for cinnamon and allspice but it is also similar to strychnine and toxic to humans and livestock

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            Beware of it as it spreads rapidly - possibly through the birds dropping the seeds. I thought it was pretty - once. Now its everywhere
            I hate it too. There's one at school which is always trying to take over the bed it's been planted in. It's like a hydra: I keep cutting it, it comes back stronger
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X