Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for a flowering shrub please!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for a flowering shrub please!

Hello there,
    I have a biggish gap in my front garden where I'd like to put a bobby dazzler shrub but can't decide what! Space is about 1m x 1.5m and I'd like something tallish as its backed by a birch (B.utilis jaquemontii), two bamboos and that lovely shrub with the dark purple hawthorn leaf shaped leaves. My colour scheme is red, dark /vibrant pink and orange (yes, quite tasteless), so if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them. This border faces NE and I live in the cloudy and damp and windy NW near Lancaster. I'd like flowers and berries/fruit please. Don't mind if its evergreen or deciduous!
    PS I've tried that lovely shrub with the dark red flowers that are hard as though they are carved from wood, and smell of spice, but its not happy.
    best wishes,
    Jess
    Last edited by jessmorris; 17-01-2013, 03:32 PM.

How about a black leaved elder Proven Winners | Black Lace

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
      Aaaaah, that's what it's called!

My first thought when I read the original post was 'that thing my Mum and Dad have in their front garden would look awesome' my second thought was 'what on earth is it called!'
      http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

I'd like to know what this is :-
        "I've tried that lovely shrub with the dark red flowers that are hard as though they are carved from wood, and smell of spice,"

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
          I bought one of these last year.
          There are 2 purple varieties apparently.I think ours is the Black lace cap

...just what I was going to suggest!
          - plus you can use the berries for elderberry vodka! ( I know a couple of peeps who would help you drink that! )
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I have one too - and used to have a Golden Elder Golden Elder Hedging (6 plants) : Pomona Fruits, Buy Fruit Trees, Soft Fruit Bushes, Apple Trees, Raspberry Canes, Grape Vines, Strawberry Plants

Comment

Originally posted by jessmorris View Post
              I'd like to put a bobby dazzler shrub... My colour scheme is red, dark /vibrant pink and orange
              Camellia?

This variety grows like a weed round here, doesn't need acidic soil either, unlike a lot of them

1) how it looks when not flowering
              2) flowering ! (April)
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 17-01-2013, 06:42 PM.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I love camellias too - one of mine is in flower now. The bees appreciate it but it doesn't fruit and that was one of the requirements!
                Attached Files

Comment

Hmm, some lovely ideas already! Thankyou. I will google the wooden flowered spice bush and see if I can find what its called....thanks folks!

Comment

I also ADORE Rosa chinensis mutabilis which is a big sprawly repeat flowering rose with single flowers that have copper buds, pink petals and fade to cream. Its a bit gawky for there though it is beautiful. Ahh, roses!

Comment

Choiysa Sundance doesn't quite fit in with your colours but wouldn't clash. It is evergreen, well has gold aromatic foliage, and white flowers in May. I have one in my North facing front garden. I know at one time they were considered a little tender but I've never lost one but I know I'm further south than you. Have a look in your area to see if anyone else grows it.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        I love camellias ... but it doesn't fruit and that was one of the requirements!
                        Mine has fruit (sultanas, hanging in a bird feeder for the resident blackbirds)
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Lecesteria Formosa

Nice bright green leaves in summer, followed by white / red flowers and bracts, then the berry-like seed which attract blackbirds and bullfinches in our garden.
                          It will grow in almost any conditions, doesn't mind sun or shade. - Here is ours, picture taken last spring and the flower bract pictured in late summer

Web link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leycesteria_formosa

a-a
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by alex-adam; 18-01-2013, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                            I'd like to know what this is :-
                            "I've tried that lovely shrub with the dark red flowers that are hard as though they are carved from wood, and smell of spice,"
                            Its this! : Calycanthus occidentalis, Spice Bush (I think)

Comment

Thanks jess - I don't know that shrub at all! It gets mixed messages on PFAF Calycanthus occidentalis Californian Allspice PFAF Plant Database The bark is a substitute for cinnamon and allspice but it is also similar to Strychnine and toxic to humans and livestock

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X