My Aspidistra

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Aspidistra

...is totaly pot bound. So much so that its elbows are pushing the plastic pot out of shape. It's been growing in the same pot now for about eight years. Although it's not the biggest Aspidistra in the world, I think it's time to split it and repot. Anyone else mad enough to keep a cast iron plant? If anyone can offer advice, I'm all ears.
    I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

I think you're right Terrier. It's time to split and repot it. They're not called cast iron plants for nothing. Just split it apart by whatever means you can and repot the bits. How many plants do you want ?

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I'd love to know Terrier whether you have the plant in an old house? We have an old Manse and I just cannot grow any houseplants, but I always thought an aspidistra would be ok as the Victorians successfully grew them even though they had heavy hanging curtains.

(sorry hijacked your thread!)
      ~
      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Have you tried Aspidistra Jennie ? They're not very exciting but they don't seem to mind low light levels and low temperatures. They do fine in dark corners and draughty halls. I had one which lived for years in a dark corner of a north facing room. It eventually got so big it burst it's pot. At that point I decided it didn't really earn it's space. More exciting things going about.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Sounds just the thing I need! Got plenty of dark corners but thankfully not too draughty!

I'll have to keep an eye out for one. It would just be nice to have something "green" in the front room!
          ~
          Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Hi Jennie, yes, it is an old farmhouse built towards the end of the 1800's. The Aspi has sat on top of my piano for years in a darkish corner out of direct sunlight. I was given it by a lady who just loved the plants and had them all over the house ( a very modern house). I'm afraid I don't know what type it is but so far it's lived up to its reputation. When I do repot, what type of growing medium should I use; I suppose in Victorian times they would have used home made loam?
            I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X