Repotting things when in flower?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repotting things when in flower?

Probably a very naiive question, but is it ok to repot plants when they are in flower or is it best to wait until they're finished flowering? A few weeks ago I bought a hebe plant and a french lavender plant. I put them straight outside and left them in the pots I bought them in, just standing them in some slightly larger plastic pots so that they look a bit better and I can water them from the bottom. They are both in full flower at the moment but I'd like to put them both in bigger pots (they are currently just stood on the ground so are a bit low down) but I'm not sure whether that's a good idea right now.

Shouldn't be a problem but for goodness sake don't put them in huge pots. You need to pot on gradually or the volume of new compost and moisture will overwhelm the roots. Lavender in particular needs good drainage.

Comment

Thanks. I don't want to put them in huge pots but I'd like them to be higher so maybe I'll go for a taller pot that isnt a lot wider - would that overwhelm the roots? The plastic pots they are in are quite small and I think they are both ready for something a bit bigger but the height thing is the most important for me from an aesthetic point of view. But I don't want to kill them off.

Comment

OK, if you want height why not pot them on into slightly bigger pots (terracotta maybe) and stand those pots on top of other pots turned upside down?

Comment

Well, I was reading today that a tall narrow pot will have better drainage than a short wide pot of the same volume. So it might be worth a go. I definitely agree with lavender needing good drainage.
          March is the new winter.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
            OK, if you want height why not pot them on into slightly bigger pots (terracotta maybe) and stand those pots on top of other pots turned upside down?
            Thats a good idea I had never thought of! Its just really because they are quite short at the moment and standing on the ground. They do need slightly bigger pots anyway, but I would like to raise them up a bit too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomato Head View Post
              maybe I'll go for a taller pot
              Or, you could always fill up your tall pot with something other than compost (which will go sour if it's not full of plant roots). I fill my big pots with smaller plant pots, crocks or lumps of polystyrene
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X