Newbie asking advice!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
    :I'm going to look through my catalogues and see if there are any "pretty" plants that take my fancy! DDL
    You've hit the nail on the head there DDL - its all about growing what you fancy and with perennials and annuals, as long as you don't grow something that is a pain to germinate or requires inordinate amount of care, you can really have a go at anything. That's what I do! I also send for a lot of the freebies (well postage and packing cost) in the gardening mags. It all gets you started and you find out what you like, what is easiest to grow and what works well in your own soil.

Good luck!
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

That's what I do Jennie - send off for the freebies to see what grows O.K. in my garden (or what I don't kill off!) so that I don't waste a lot of money on bulk orders of bulbs/plants etc.
      DDL. It probably was Chocolate cosmos you saw they are a lovely rich chocolatey-russet colour & smell of choc. if you put your nose right up to them, but they are tender so you might have to lift them in winter or mulch & protect them some way.
      Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Thank for your advice! I really appreciate it - thanks for the offer Slug - its very kind of you! I think the one about getting freebies is a good idea - don't know why I didn't think of it before! will give it a go! also, I think that was the chocolate plant I saw/smelt - got to give it a go methinks! DDL
        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

If you want flowers for scent I can let you have some clary sage seed but be warned it gets huge with a flower spike over a metre and starts to look scraggly as it dies back. It also self seeds extremely readily and although mine were originally grown as an annual they are perennial. I adore heavily scented plants (no surprise there then) and am gradually filling the garden with them.
          Bright Blessings
          Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Thanks EB! Have sent you a PM. DDL
            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
              Don't have the ones Snadger grew the flowers are rubbish
              What flowers?
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I rest my case
                ntg
                Never be afraid to try something new.
                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                ==================================================

Comment

What would that be a case of Nick?
                  Bright Blessings
                  Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

I always grow statice to dry some for flowers in the house for over winter, asters for the fun of it I grew the big ostric ones but the rain really battered them then dhalias from seed just for the fun and to see what I get But I never pick the asters and dahlias because I can see them from the house so just dead head and dead head again Im trying zinnias next year

Comment

Do you grow companion flowers with your veg? You could start with these and then if you don't like the flowers you won't feel like it's wasted space ! Try marigolds with tomatoes/potatoes, nasturtiums with broccolli/squash. There's lots of information in organic gardening books, here on the vine and here http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/companion.htm

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Originally posted by Birdie Wife View Post
                        Do you grow companion flowers with your veg? You could start with these and then if you don't like the flowers you won't feel like it's wasted space ! Try marigolds with tomatoes/potatoes, nasturtiums with broccolli/squash. There's lots of information in organic gardening books, here on the vine and here http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/companion.htm
                        Good site BW...
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks BW - was wondering about "companion planting"! DDL
                          Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson View Post
                            You've hit the nail on the head there DDL - its all about growing what you fancy and with perennials and annuals, as long as you don't grow something that is a pain to germinate or requires inordinate amount of care, you can really have a go at anything. That's what I do! I also send for a lot of the freebies (well postage and packing cost) in the gardening mags. It all gets you started and you find out what you like, what is easiest to grow and what works well in your own soil.

Good luck!
                            Now Ive got my lottie am ready and raring to go! LOL Dexterdog
                            Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X