Newbie asking advice!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie asking advice!

This is my first time on the "flower" section of the Vine. Question being: I know nothing about flowers - at all! If I was to start growing them, what do you suggest? DDL
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

I think it depends on what you want the flowers for Dexterdog. Colour ? Perfume? Cut flowers for the house ? Interest ? If you tell us what you want the flowers to do for you I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Green side up when you plant them
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Also depends on whether you want to grow annuals from seed or plant perennials which come up each year. I tend to go for more perennials as they are less work and if you get it right you can have something flowering for most of the summer. Also because of our windy winters there's nothing above ground to blast them away. You can always pick up a book on perennials in the library which will give you a starting point on colours, ease of growing etc.

Let us know how you get on.

Jennie
        ~
        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I'm really not sure you know! Think I'm going to have a look through the catalogues I've got and then take it from there! The only ones I know I like are sweet peas - but I know what to do with those! Thanks for the advice! Will let you know what I decide. DDL
          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Don't have the ones Snadger grew the flowers are rubbish
            ntg

Comment

that wasnt very nice Nick! I'm going to look through my catalogues and see if there are any "pretty" plants that take my fancy! Mind you, if/when/if/when I was lucky enough to get a lottie the flowers would come second! we'll have to wait and see! DDL
              Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Hot of the press ish,

http://www.warkcom.net/live/welcome.asp?ID=2456

see if any of these stir yu
                ntg

Comment

They look very pretty Nick. Are they easy to grow? If I was going to grow flowers it would have to be in my front garden, and I would have to dig out a new bed in the lawn - would these be suitable? DDL
                  Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Yes they'd grow easy. The sprays & Dahlia's would be better than the disbuds.

Once you get the "you know what" just in case OH looking you can have a couple of rows of them.

How about Gladioli? they don't take much room
                    ntg

Comment

Just think Nick - you poor thing - you've helped me all year with my veggies - and now I may be moving onto flowers! You must be a saint!
                      What are "disbuds"? Not sure I like gladioli I'm afraid!
                      I saw a plant in a garden centre, over 12months ago that smelled like chocolate - any ideas? that would be nice!
                      Do you have to plant certain flowers together or can you just "bung them in" wherever? DDL
                      Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Hi DDL,

I have always been more of a flower person than veg, and I've been getting into the veg more over the last couple of years.

I love anything easy too... I must admit so I lovel bulbs that come up every year like the Gladioli that Nick has suggested.

I also love Tagetes the Mexican Marigold variety. I can't rave about them enough as they form bushes of tiny marigold flowers - and they're a great companion plant for your veg. I grew lots last year and they are great in the autumn when not much else is growing in the garden.

http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/ne...seed/orangegem

The bees absolutely loved my tagetes and my dahlias - it was like a wild life haven (and great for the veg )

I also grow sweet peas for cutting and for their smell, and this year I've discovered Penstemom which I think are fab. They're a perennial so they come up each year. I started them from seed last year and they've been brilliant this year and are just in their second flush now.

http://www.penstemania.co.uk/plantindex.htm

Oh, I'm waffling now.... could give you loads of suggestions (and seeds as I have kept quite a few), so PM me if you want any and I'll dig out some bits for you!

Comment

Is it the Chocolate Cosmos perhaps? I think I saw one of them in Homebase this year...?

I must admit I'm a bit of a 'bung em all together' kind of person. I like loads of flowers in one go - it's probably a bit gaudy to some.... but I think it's great! I'm sure there are rules when it comes to these things, but I don't really like to follow them!

The only thing I'd do is make sure you block plant so that you end up with some nice strong colours together, rather than a bit of this here and a bit there - it makes it more striking to have a few of the same plant in one spot rather than just dotted all over the garden.

Comment

You are very kind Slug - and thanks for all your advice, I really appreciate it! Still in the very early stages of my "flower experience" and am still feeling my way around. I'll check out that site you mention - got to go to bed now! Up
                            6am to take Dexter the dog for walkies before going to work!
                            Thanks! DDL
                            Bernie aka DDL

Comment

No probs - PM if you want any bits... and good luck with the flower planning. I always find the seed catalogues very inspirational... even if I do end up biting off more than I can chew...!!!

Slug

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X