Mimosa seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mimosa seed

Encouraged by reading the knowledgeable replies about agapanthus seed I wondered if anyone out there knew what to do with mimosa seed? (Also acquired in Madeira, where mimosa grows prolifically.)

Anybody know if it's likely to be viable? When and in what conditions to sow it? And if it germinates, what next???

Thanks for any advice!
    H

Mimosa seed

Hi Hardy
    Have not grown it myself but according to my flower/shrub bible - RHS Encyclopedia of Plants - you can propogate by seed in Spring. It also says you can propogate by semi ripe cuttings in Summer. Other info - usually grown as an annual in UK, frost tender- min temp 13-16. Needs partial shade and fertile well drained soil.
    Hope this is of some use.
    Rat

British by birth
    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for that Sewer (or is it Rat!!)

I guessed it might not be hardy - but maybe I could keep it going in the greenhouse over winter or even as a houseplant if I get some to germinate. Anybody know whether I need heat to do so? (germinate that is)

It's worth a try as the scent was just fantastic (though admittedly that was in a whole grove of the things!)

Thanks again

Comment

Hardy - how have you got on with the mimosa? I bought a plant in the autumn through the radio times as, when we were in Italy, they were handing out small sprays of the flowers to all the ladies. What a lovely scent! Unfortunately, I put it in the summerhouse before Xmas,which is frost free, but all the leaves have gone crisp and black Didn't realize it actually had to be kept warm over winter) Will have to wait now and see what happens. Lets hope yours germinate and grow well!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Mimosa seed

Hi Nicos

Yes the two or three tiny seedlings (saplings??) I smuggled back from Madeira didn't make it in my unheated greehouse either.

I haven't tried sowing the seed yet (life has been rather hectic of late so I'm a bit behind) but I'll try to remember this weekend and will let you know how I get on. I've no idea whether they are even viable, but would you like a few seeds to try as well? If so send me a private message with your address and I'll post you a few.

All the best
          Hardy

Comment

update on Mimosa seed

Hi

Well I sowed some mimosa seed on 18th March and put it in the airing cupboard. I notice today that one has germinated already! The challenge now will be to see if I can keep it (and any forthcoming siblings/seedlings/saplings!) alive!

Hardy

Comment

hardy - I snapped a twig from the plant I hope survives and it is green inside Maybe I will be ok with growing it on?! Glad your seeds germinated so well- will keep in touch eh?
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X