No announcement yet.

Is it too early to sow sunflowers?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know how best to support the giant ones? I've heard the stems get quite thick and the flower is heavy, so thinking I might need to get some sort of support in at some stage.
    AKA Angie

Comment

I grow them against a sunny wall with a bean net pinned to it. As the sunflower grows up I tie string loops onto the net to support the sunflower. Does that make sense?
      Charlie x
      "Erm, if you havn't got anything on that windowsill, can I use the space?"

Comment

Originally posted by windowsillqueen View Post
        I grow them against a sunny wall with a bean net pinned to it. As the sunflower grows up I tie string loops onto the net to support the sunflower. Does that make sense?
        So do you fix the bean net to the wall and if so, how do I do that?
        AKA Angie

Comment

my 2 children are having a competition with sunflowers!! who's popped out first ( it was my sons ) who's is growing quickest ( my daughters ) eventually they will be measured to see who's is the biggest. No prize at the end, i just wanted them to join in with me in growing stuff, after school they rush out to see whats happened since the day before..... they are keen on growing more stuff so planning on giving them their own bed and leaving them to it!! I'm just worried that they might be more successful than me!! lol

Comment

That reminds me, must buy sunflower seeds!
            WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
              So do you fix the bean net to the wall and if so, how do I do that?
              I use masonary nails
              WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I have slabs next to my shed and it's the only place I can think of putting my sunflower/s. Would they grow ok in large pots or would they run out of space?

Comment

I grew several in large pots last year and they were fine, I did need to water them lots though. The only thing is that I needed to put a cane in the ground to support the plant (not thinking at first, i put the cane in the pot and then realised my error when the whole thing blew over!!)

I live in Yorkshire and we still get frosts sometimes up to may, will sunflowers still be ok outside?

Comment

I am sowing Sunflowers too! I got mine from Aldi and I think it's called Giant. I will check though. Gonna so mine in Pete Pellets first I think.
                    Follow my garden and chilli growing project... @impatientgrower

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                      I grew several in large pots last year and they were fine, I did need to water them lots though. The only thing is that I needed to put a cane in the ground to support the plant (not thinking at first, i put the cane in the pot and then realised my error when the whole thing blew over!!)

I live in Yorkshire and we still get frosts sometimes up to may, will sunflowers still be ok outside?
                      I'm not sure how frost tender they are either Dave but I'm keeping mine in unheated gh for now and taking out during the day. Also, I just know that slugs will have a go if I plant them out too small Will wait and see what others say.
                      AKA Angie

Comment

Thanks selfraising

Comment

Can you sow Sunflowers outside yet? Under a bottle cloche perhaps?
                          http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

The ones I grew last year had huge stems and the flower on one weighed in at over 5lb I tied them to the fence they were growing against but that is short compared to the sunflowers as they grew to over 9ft tall, they also damaged the fence at the bottom with the roots as I had to cut them free. This year I am going to put them elsewhere on the plot as a screen to the compost bins and get 8ft tall canes will need a ladder to tie them in though.
                            Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                            and ends with backache

Comment

My ones are called Giant Single. I just brought some more called Red Velvet, can't wait to get these going as they look lovely.
                              Follow my garden and chilli growing project... @impatientgrower

Comment

Mine are bout 4" high and in the cold frame to harden them off and slow them down a bit!!
                                Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X