Maidenhair fern dying

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maidenhair fern dying

Well, I absolutely don't understand why this seemingly easy houseplants just continues to look sickly and brown. All through the Summer months it is green and quite healthy but during the last few months it has died off. I keep it moist in a North facing bathroom window to no avail. Whenever I see any in other people's houses/on tv they look so green and healthy, even in dark rooms.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240105_115723.jpg
Views:	1747
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	2573330

Not sure, but I seem to recall they don’t like being below 10C in winter and they might do better for now with a bit more sunlight during the winter months?
    I always failed with them when I lived in a cold house ….could the windowsill be too chilly? Maybe place a max/min thermometer next to the pot if you have one?

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

My grandmother had a maidenhair fern and it was never terribly healthy. We all think she was overwatering it.
      My uncle inherited the plant when she died, and it looks much healthier. It only gets watered very occasionally in the winter, and is kept in his living room (which is usually kept at about 19 or 20c in the winter), on a stand near (but not directly in front of) a small window.

Comment

Ok thanks, perhaps too cold in a North facing window then.

Comment

Aaaand another one going downhill with shriveling leaves after having a new bathroom fitted, plastered with no draughts anymore. I keep misting the leaves but to no avail
          Attached Files

Comment

Maidenhair ferns can be semi-deciduous, so maybe yours will perk up in warmer weather. Hang on to it and keep the soil moist and it may start to regrow.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/23998/...eneris/details
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X